Harvest IPA recipe critiques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratotankard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had an idea for a harvest IPA with several grains. I'd welcome any critiques of the recipe. I've never used rye before in any of my beers and would be happy for any pointers on it.

Harvest IPA
--------------------------------
Grain Lbs
Maris Otter 9.0
Rye Malt 2.0
Red Wheat 1.0
Crystal 40L .5
Crystal 60L .75

Hops Oz AA% Min
Magnum 1.0 12.1 60
Willamette 1.0 4.5 30
Fuggles 0.5 4.0 30
EKG 0.5 5.1 25
Fuggles 0.5 4.0 20
Willamette 1.0 4.5 15
EKG 0.5 5.1 10

~3oz of Centennial/Golding/Willamette fresh from my garden for dry hopping

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast
OG 1.072
FG 1.018 (est)
IBU 61
SRM 13
ABV 7.0%

Terje

I would eliminate the wheat for Rye. If you are adding the rye, it is for flavor, head and "spice". Keep it for flavor over the wheat. Then I have never done that hop schedule, but I have to say that you are hopping with some "weak" hops. I would go more with some higher alpha hops. They will give you both more bang for your buck and also more distinct flavor. There is a reason that noble hops are for what they are used for and a reason that English hops are also low acid. IPA needs some serious hop flavor and I would utilize some higher alpha hops and also try to get the IBU to about 65 or 70. Magnum for an IPA is ok, but I don't do it. Magnum is so clean that it gets lost to me. If I am doing something that I don't want the hops to come out I use the Magnum so that it doesn't interfere. In an IPA I want my hops to interfere so I add something like Centennial, Chinook, or Warrior. Summit is also nice.

Good luck sir!

The hops are fine (if you want an English IPA), but the timing is not: you need serious late hopping for a good IPA. Eliminate the 30-20 minute additions and use a load of EKG at flameout.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll cut back the wheat for more rye, but will most likely keep some wheat in just to stay with my "Harvest" theme. I'll also change up the hops. I am looking for an English IPA and not really wanting the way bitter American IPAs I've had. The Magnums were used because they are the biggest hops I have on hand. The EKG and Golding to fit with the English IPA. Of course my 3oz of mixed hops don't really fit, except that I harvested them myself. :)

How does this sound?

3# Rye Malt
0.5# Red Wheat
(other grains unchanged)

1oz Magnum - 60min
1oz Willamette- 30min
1oz willamette- 20min
1oz Fuggles- 10min
1oz Fuggles - 5min
1oz EKG - 5min
1oz EKG - 0min
1oz Fuggles - 0min
3oz of mixed dry hopped

This puts me at 70 IBU which is out of style for the English IPA but I'm hoping with the crystal malt and low attenuation I'll have enough residual sweetness to balance it.

Terje

Back