Recipe Critique: My wedding IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjstew

Reaction score
I posted a recipe critique a few weeks back regarding a saison I'm brewing for my wedding. Now it's time for the IPA I'll be brewing for the wedding...

I'm getting married in April and will be brewing 15 gallons of a saison and 15 gallons of an IPA for the wedding.

I'm looking to brew an East Coast IPA. Creamy mouthfeel, hazy, super dank hops but not bitter at all, hence the low IBU's/first wort hopping but tons of late addition hops.

Thoughts on the recipe below? This is only a 5 gallon test batch. I'm going to scale up for the 15 gallons.

Planning on mashing at 150 and ferment at 66.

1.063OG
1.013FG
30IBU
5SRM
6.4%ABV

Amount Fermentable Maltster Use PPG Color
10.0 lb 2-Row (US) Any Mash 37 1 °L
1.5 lb Flaked Oats Any Boil 33 2 °L
0.6 lb Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (US) Any Boil 33 1 °L
0.6 lb Cara 45L (BE) Any Mash 34 42 °L
Hops

Amount Hop Time Use Form AA
0.25 oz Ahtanum (US) 60 min First Wort Pellet 6.0%
0.25 oz Amarillo (US) 60 min First Wort Pellet 9.3%
0.25 oz Centennial (US) 60 min First Wort Pellet 10.5%
0.5 oz Ahtanum (US) 5 min Boil Pellet 6.0%
0.5 oz Amarillo (US) 5 min Boil Pellet 9.3%
0.5 oz Simcoe (US) 5 min Boil Pellet 13.0%
0.5 oz Centennial (US) 5 min Boil Pellet 10.5%
1.0 oz Centennial (US) 20 min Whirlpool Pellet 10.5%
1.0 oz Simcoe (US) 20 min Whirlpool Pellet 13.0%
1.0 oz Ahtanum (US) 20 min Whirlpool Pellet 6.0%
1.0 oz Amarillo (US) 20 min Whirlpool Pellet 9.3%
1.0 oz Simcoe (US) 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.0%
1.0 oz Centennial (US) 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 10.5%
1.0 oz Amarillo (US) 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 9.3%
1.0 oz Ahtanum (US) 5 days Dry Hop Pellet 6.0%
Yeasts

Name Lab/Product Attenuation
Vermont Ale The Yeast Bay 78.5%
Stats

Batch & Boil

Batch Size
5.5 gal
Boil Time
60 min

I'm going to refer you to this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

Don't know if you've read through it or ever seen it. Lots of info. Especially when it comes to yeast choice with possibilities of impacting perceived hop flavour, hop combos and water chemistry (if you haven't looked into it I think​ it does play a big role).

Me personally I would simplify the 60 minute addition. Use a clean high AA hop and tune that easier to measure out, I have lots of Chinook that I like to use. 30 IBU seems fair, and when it comes to hops being used I haven't actually used those in that combination. One thing I like adding is amounts of white wheat ranging up to 25%, improves head retention and I think that's what you got going for the oats. Looks good. Do a trial! Make sure you like it then scale

Easier to go with a single hop in the FWH or 60 min. You will wind up with a few partial bags of hops if you buy by the ounce and it probably will not yield a marked difference in flavor. Hit .66 oz of Simcoe at FWH. When your 15 gallon batch is made, that will translate to 2 oz and no leftovers.

Other than that, looks great. Consider replacing Carapils with a pound of malted red wheat. That in combo with the oats is amazing in an IPA

You could try something different on the Grain. My 2nd iteration on my NE ipa I used 100% Two Track Dakota M3 (rite-brew carries it) and it is Excellent. Just a little something different that brings it over the top. (and super gold)..

congrats!

I would suggest mashing a little higher for mouthfeel and fermenting a little warmer to promote the fruity esters.

Back