1/4 Barrel Keg for Full Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
I can get a free 1/4 barrel keg from someone right now and I would like to know if this is enough for a full boil. Apparently they are 7.75 gallons. I do not tend to make big beers. It will be my first opportunity to make an all grain batch. (working on my MLT cooler now)

I will continue to look for a full barrel, and maybe use this for my sparge water....but want to know if I can get by converting this 1/4 barrel for now?

Craig

I don't think it would be worth the effort to cut the top off. I use a 30 quart (7 1/2 gal.) turkey fryer pot and i really wish i had a bigger kettle.

I can get a free 1/4 barrel keg from someone right now and I would like to know if this is enough for a full boil. Apparently they are 7.75 gallons. I do not tend to make big beers. It will be my first opportunity to make an all grain batch. (working on my MLT cooler now)

I will continue to look for a full barrel, and maybe use this for my sparge water....but want to know if I can get by converting this 1/4 barrel for now?

Craig

make it into a fermenter.

http://www.upstatebrewtopians.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=752

I actually just got two pony kegs for free and am trying to figure out what to do with them. I think I will make one into a fermentor as described in the link.

I made a keggle out of one a about a month ago. I used a sawsall to cut the opening with a stainless steel saw blade, took all of a minute or two and its pretty darn clean.

There is nothing wrong with it as a keggle if you are doing 6-7 gallon boils. I did my last red ale with it, started with 7 1/4 gallons never boiled over. Alot of people are using 30 qt pots that come with turkey fryers so if its free grab it. Then when you get a 1/2 keg use the 1/4 for your sparge water.

I made a keggle out of one a about a month ago. I used a sawsall to cut the opening with a stainless steel saw blade, took all of a minute or two and its pretty darn clean.

There is nothing wrong with it as a keggle if you are doing 6-7 gallon boils. I did my last red ale with it, started with 7 1/4 gallons never boiled over. Alot of people are using 30 qt pots that come with turkey fryers so if its free grab it. Then when you get a 1/2 keg use the 1/4 for your sparge water.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Had my Sawsall in mind too :p Why not if its free...then keep looking for 1/2 barrel and use 1/4 for Sparge water....coolio

Craig

Latest posts

Back