Diacetyl rest question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
Diacetyl rest question

I am approx day 16 on my pils lager.I have used WLP802 Czech yeast. I know WLP802 tends to produce less diacetyl than some strains, but should I perform the rest now? The yeast seems to have slowed down a bit, but I do not think its completely done.

Should I wait the 3 weeks for a lager to get done and perform the rest or should I do it now when its semi-active?

No, the rest should always be done before primary fermentation has finished. There's no hard and fast rule, but you want to be at least a few gravity points away from your FG so the yeast are still working. Take a gravity reading to check, but you definitely always do d-rests BEFORE lagering.

Usually 6 or 7 days into ferment I'll start gravity readings daily until the beer is 2/3 of final gravity. I the take the carboy out of the lager fridge and sit on my basement floor for a week at 60 degrees to finish up. This takes care of all the weird stuff given off by cold fermentation.

Back