Sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insomniac

Reaction score
I made a melon melomel a while back that used melon juice for all of the liquid. Once it had finished I crashed it, racked of the yeast and then used camden and sorbate as well as topping off with more juice. It's since Sat failing to fully clear for a good few months. Last weekend I had a taste and took a SG reading, it was down to 1.0 or there about a and while the melon flavour tastes a bit sweet I decided I wanted it sweeter. So added enough honey to back sweeten. Now, the extra honey has helped clear it finally but I noticed very slight pressure on the airlock so i put it in the fridge again.

My question is, is the original sorbate still there and will crashing and racking again be enough? Or should i add another dose of sorbate again?

The sorbate shouldn't have dissipated, not like campden does. Since sorbate has a taste, I'd be hesitant to use more unless I absolutely had to. But you can add a crushed and dissolved campden tablet (one per gallon) to help out. Sorbate works better in the presence of sulfites, and the sulfites dissipate rather quickly.

Thanks Yoop! Thats what I was thinking, I'll just add more campden and see how it goes!

You can always add more sorbate if you have to, but I'd try just "boosting" it with some campden first. I can taste the sorbate, even though it's slight, and I'd prefer to use less rather than more if possible.

Back