If I hop the sH*t out of a Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatwad

Reaction score
is it still a pale ale? ABV will still be 5.5%, but I got crazy with a bunch of cool whole hops that I have...bittering, aroma, flavor, dry.

I don't really get hung up on style too much, but was just curious...does it stay a pale ale?

I think that the alcohol is only one aspect that could separate PA and IPAs, the other is the bitterness. If you put a ton of hops in late and only had 45-ish IBUs then it would be a pale. But since it is bitter (70 IBUs) then it's an IPA

I go with a hoppy pale ale. Screw the BJCP guidelines. Exhibit A:

dales_pale_ale.jpg

I go with a hoppy pale ale. Screw the BJCP guidelines. Exhibit A:

At 6.5% ABV and 65 IBUs, Dale's is an IPA (per style guidelines), regardless of what OB calls it.

To the OP: It's your beer, call it what you want. Hell you could call it an extra-pale, lite, session, hoppy American Barleywine. But based on style guidelines what you're describing would fall into the IPA category.

"Meatwad's Hop Damn Pale Ale!"

Has a ring to it.

If everything in the beer resembles a PA except your IBUs, I'd say call it either or, whichever you want.. Sweetgrass has a delicious APA that sits at 60IBUs.

Agreed, it's an IPA. Alternatively, you can add a bunch of hops late to keep the bitterness low, and you'll have a hoppy pale ale.

Back