BIAB mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
After much consideation to not brewing this morning when I saw the winds outside, I decided to go with it nonetheless. The gf isn't home and I won't get nagged every few seconds to clean up after myself. Plus I have an excuse t drink beer at 9:30 AM...

I cleaned and weighted everything and now I'm mashing. Problem is, I was shooting for 152F, but after destroying the dry dough balls, my temp was only 148 in the kettle. I added a splash (just a splash, I swear) of boiling water and the temperature jumped to 158-160. Yeah, that was a good idea :D I also caught it 7-8 minutes after the fact, added some cooler water and now it's dead at 152. I know that temperature denatures the enzymes, but was a couple of minutes really enough to kill off the precious enzymes and will I have amore full-bodied beer ? Or could it jut be that since I splashed the floating thermometer that it went berserk ?

I know it'll be beer (and I'll drink it, oh yes I will), but it's just to get my process down for next time. The cheapo pot from the Canadian Tire turkey fryer kit also doesn't seem to lose much het at all. It's still going strong at 152 30 minutes after the "incident".

RDWHAHB.

Seriously.

The high temps can knock out enzymes BUT you should have plenty to complete conversion.

Out of curiosity - how long did you wait after doughing in to take the first temp reading? You should wait at least 3-5 minutes.

Also - did you add the infusion to the grain or the grain to the infusion? How did you calculate the infusion temp?

Calculated everything by hand and using Beersmith. I added the grain to the water but I only had a wimpy little wooden spoon,so it was tough breaking the dough balls. It was also my first time doing this, so I wanted the grain to be spread out. I stirred for a few minutes.

I know everhing is fine. Now if that thing could cool to pitching temperature. Note to self: either buy a big bag of ice or an immersion chiller next time. Ice pack and soda bottles won't do :D

How much water did you use? With BIAB you use lots of water so doughballs aren't usually an issue.

Back