Please help evaluate my water. I'm totally green.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewJersey

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got my ward labs report back. I've been reading about water recently, but was hoping for a little expert advice.
I started using campden tabs a year ago, but thats about it. Yesterday before getting the report I added a tsp of gypsum to mash and sparge water.
My darker beers usually seem spot on, but my lighter hoppy stuff is never quite right.
My lhbs is a 5 minute walk and I wanna stop by today and pick up whatever I need to get my water right. (I know this is dependant on the grains so lets assume mostly 2 row and maybe 5% or so crystal)

Thanks so much, all!

View attachment 1440515144242.jpg

Its not terrible water, but it does appear to be infused with a bit of sodium chloride. Since you are away from the ocean, I'm assuming its from deicing salts and your water is from a reservoir. Don't add sodium or chloride for most of your brewing since that could push it over the top. The alkalinity isn't too high and acidification with lactic acid should be essentially flavorless at your probable dosage.

It is indeed from a reservoir.

What should I be adding to brew a normal ipa?
Just gypsum and 2-3% acid malt?
Im on page 10 of the primer thread and there is a ton of info to digest. I'm not a scientist, so sometimes AJs explanations are just too much for me.
I do intend to learn more, but was looking for someone to hold Daddy's (my boy is 1 month old!) hand here.

Thanks again

It is indeed from a reservoir.
Ah, yes. The Boonton Reservoir which I get a good look at wandering through Parsippany every time I miss the turnoff for 287 from 80 which I do every time I go through there.

What should I be adding to brew a normal ipa?
Just gypsum and 2-3% acid malt?

That should do it. You already have plenty of chloride.

Im on page 10 of the primer thread and there is a ton of info to digest. I'm not a scientist, so sometimes AJs explanations are just too much for me.
I do intend to learn more, but was looking for someone to hold Daddy's (my boy is 1 month old!) hand here.

You certainly don't need to read the whole thread to use the Primer's advice but it probably is a good idea to go through it over time to get a feel for the kinds of things that others are dealing with.

AJ, you're a New Jerseyan?! Nice.
Do you shop at Cask and Kettle in Boonton? It's a great store.
Do you attend any beer events locally or frequent any craft beer bars in the northern NJ area? (Cloverleaf, Poor Henry's, Morris Tap and Grill, or Mohawk House)
Thanks for reviewing my thread and answering.
😃

AJ, you're a New Jerseyan?! Nice.
Yep. Spent my childhood in the Oranges, Red Bank an Rumson.
Do you shop at Cask and Kettle in Boonton? It's a great store.
Do you attend any beer events locally or frequent any craft beer bars in the northern NJ area? (Cloverleaf, Poor Henry's, Morris Tap and Grill, or Mohawk House)
No, because I moved away many, many years ago. But I do pass through on my twice annual migrations between Quebec and Virginia.
Thanks for reviewing my thread and answering.
😃
Mon plaisir.

Back