Horizontal keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmberFluid

Reaction score
Just wondering if you can use your post mix kegs in the horizontal position in the fridge. This would suit my fridge a lot better than vertical.Just ordered my keg system and will be setting up next weekend with my first batch of Pilsener.

Cheers
AF

There needs to be some slope towards the bottom of the keg. The dip tube goes all the way to the bottom of the keg....and in my case about 2" from the edge of the keg. If the keg is flat on its side, I would be losing anything less than that 2", which is quite a bit of beer. I would say at a minimum you would want at least a 2"-3" rise at the front of the keg. That should work for you.

Oh, I did that once when I first started kegging... came home one afternoon to find several gallons of my espresso stout all over my kitchen floor. Make sure your kegs have good o-rings and do not leak.

Some people shorten the fluid tube and bend it so it touches the side of the keg. Then it's just a matter of laying the keg in the correct position.

Keep them under pressure to hold the seals tight.

Thanks
I think I can manage a slope, but if all else fails a minor re-design of fridge layout shouldn't be too difficult.

Cheers
AF

There's no need to mess with the output diptube. Lay the keg down and raise the base up 1" with the Beer Out on top. Use the Gas In for the tap.

Wild

Latest posts

Back