Anyone know these minifridges?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziddey

Reaction score
I've been scouring craigslist the past few weeks looking for a minifridge to turn into a kegerator. It needs to fit a full size keg. Most normal sized fridges are out of the question since it's not possible to get one down into my basement.

I just came across this today and can't find too much information on it:
5O65F95Hf3Gf3L73N2c43a36ccf7aa3a11b2b.jpg

I called the owner, and she was unable to tell me the model of it, other than that it's a Summit brand minifridge that's at least 3 feet tall. She says there's a hump on the bottom, leaving around a foot or so in front of it, and a freezer compartment up top. That'd most likely rule it out, but if I could somehow detach and swing the "evaporator" out of the way a bit, maybe it'd fit if I knew the dimensions of the fridge otherwise. Anyone have any idea?

The other candidate (don't know if this fridge is still available but I'm still hoping..) is a Kenmore 4.9 cu ft unit. I've done some research on it and it sounds like it's likely to be a rebadge of the popular Sanyo 4912? According to http://www.kegerators.com/compact-refrigerators.php it "Fits 1 full size keg or 2 corny kegs with proper conversion."

5Ld5Gb5Hc3L23F83Hdc3i76875455a04219f5.jpg

5Kd5Ja5M53J33of3N2c3i0dcfb6216c421e67.jpg

It seems like most people use this fridge (if it is a Sanyo 4912 in disguise) to house two corny kegs and that a full size keg would be about an inch too wide? Anyone able to chime in on this one? Maybe I could dig into the insulation on the door a bit to make it fit (without sacrificing too much insulation quality)? The unit is all fridge, no freezer. Quoted dimensions are 34" H X 21.25" W X 21" D. I'm fine with removing the door panel, and if it's close enough, might even be crazy enough to try and pull back the compressor and equipment and somehow cut and move the hump back a slight bit (saying that now, but won't know how feasible it'd be unless I get the fridge in my hands).

My keg is 15.5" wide and 24" tall. I sold my last coupler when I moved, so I wouldn't be against getting a low profile one if that'd help (assuming I can fit it in there to begin with).

Thanks for the input guys!

Back