Hochkurz Decoction Using Infusion Steps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greatschmaltez

Reaction score
Being of German Heritage, Bavarian Hefe Weizen is the number one beer I want to master as a homebrewer. I want to incorporate a decoction in my brewing for this beer to both preserve the original brewing practice for this beer AND hopefully enhance the beer taste. Although a conventional decoction would be fun, it seems to be a lot of work, and I feel I can achieve the same effect with infusion steps. Doing some research, I think most German Breweries just use heated steps (versus pulling decoction) to achieve the different steps so I don't feel like I'm cheating. So I want to do that using infusion steps as calculated via beer smith. Wanted to get some supporting commentary that this will work and make my hefe taste awesome.

My Mash
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
20 min Protein Rest Add 10.00 qt of water at 147.0 F 131.0 F
45 min Beta Rest Add 3.30 qt of water at 199.8 F 145.0 F
45 min Alpha Rest Add 3.70 qt of water at 199.5 F 155.0 F

After my dough in at Protein Rest, I tried to calculate my water volumes based on 200dF so I could try to end around 1.7 qt/lb (got some wiggle room to go up just in case I need more heat). So my Protein, Beta, and Alpha ratios were 1, 1.33, and 1.7 qt/lb respectively. Thanks for the help.

that will work but you won't get the flavors that get developed during the decoction. it's not really that hard to do and it made a big difference in how my hefe turned out. Infusions won't get you the complex melanoidins that occur during the decoction.

Gordon Strong advocates this method, he say's it's a good alternative to a decoction.
He uses 131f (10-15min), 145f (30-40), and 158f (30-50). I would call that some educated reassurance. I recently used this technique on a tripel.

_

Thanks for the input... Mystic, Do you use a different decoction schedule from Hochkurz? Which do you think is most appropriate for hefe?

Doing the infusions will get you a tasty beer but I think you should try doing a decoction at least once just to compare the difference and see how easy of a process it is.

Yeah, I'm with you. I am not intimidated by a decoction, I just thought the infusion steps would take less time... So I was just trying to shave an hour or 2 off my brew time.

All good though... I'm sure I'll end up doing both and comparing the 2 just to see. Thanks.

Follow-up question... If I do a decoction that involves Acid Rest step, I'm assuming there is no need to add pH buffer correct?

I am about to try the "Hochkurz Decoction Using Infusion Steps" for a hef (also my #1 favorite style). I usually do a batch sparge in my cooler mlt.

Do I do this method with a no sparge? Do I leave a few gallons out so I can sparge at mash out temps a second time?

For hefeweizen yeast, a ferulic acid rest at 45C (113F) for 10 minutes will increase clove phenols.

Back