What the heck did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpr121

Reaction score
So I had some extra runoff (1.028) left over after my last brew two weeks ago. I threw it into a 1 gallon growler and thought I would leave it go for a couple days to get some lacto from the grains, then maybe boil it up and add a little hops before pitching yeast. I believe that what a berliner weis is correct?

Long story short, I forgot about it until today (2 weeks sitting in the garage at ambient temp (60 to 85 recently). It has a large krausen-like foam that had actually pushed up through the loosely fitted cap and spilled out a little bit. No pellicle or any other weird growth that I could tell. The bottom of the growler had a thin layer of what looks like yeast.

I didnt taste it, or test gravity, but it smells....not terrible. I am not very well versed with sour or wild beers so I dont really know what to look for. It basically smells less offensive than if I would have left my spent grains in the MLT for a couple days.

So what do I have here? What does everyone suggest I do with it now?

I'm mostly curious as to whether I should boil it now or not.... I know that nothing harmful can grow in your beer but I'm pretty sure that something harmful can grow in wort running that weren't boiled and then sat at 80 degrees for 2 weeks.

You should bottle it, save the yeast, drink some and see if you like it, if you do reuse the culture quickly

Ive found that wild cultures like that tend to get more funky and less sour the longer you let them sit before repitching

ryane said:
You should bottle it, save the yeast, drink some and see if you like it, if you do reuse the culture quickly

Ive found that wild cultures like that tend to get more funky and less sour the longer you let them sit before repitching

This is my plan, I think I might have a winner but I'm scared because I didn't boil at all.

Boiling will kill off everything but it will also boil off the alcohol and many of the flavor contributors.

Yeah at this point I am not going to boil it, I realize that will pretty much turn this into some sort of non-alcoholic Malto drink. I am just worried what has taken over until now.

odds are just some wild yeast and a bit o bact, on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being harmless and 10 being death this is probably a .75 I say taste if good bottle and reuse cultre

Back