Old Brinkmann Propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Dog Brewing

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some advice from the wealth of knowledge that is HBT. I got my hands on an old Brinkman turkey fryer unit. The Aluminum pot is very well made much better than the junk I have seen at lowes now a days, not that it matters I got two keggles but it could always come in handy. But my question is the burner,

First it has the old style propane connection rather than that new one that came out about 5 or more years ago. Can I switch that to the new style at low cost? Keeping with the regulator it has or does the whole thing need replaced?

The regulator says that it is high pressure but I can't find anywhere on it about the PSI's of it. Do they all say high pressure or do you think that might be 15 or 20 PSI regulator? If its not that high should I just buy a high pressure regulator and hose and get some good BTU's out of it?

The burner looks exactly like the BG10 High Pressure cast burner from Bayou classics but it is brinkmann. What kind of BTU's will I get from this thing?

Either way its free except for the cost of a conversion kit so AG here I come:ban:

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

BMW-LDB

All the BBQ grill propane tanks I have all can use either the new or old connections (Actually my BBQ grill uses new, and sometimes I use that as a backup tank and use the old screw in connection for my burner)

I'd say just hook it up and give it a try!

conpewter said:
All the BBQ grill propane tanks I have all can use either the new or old connections (Actually my BBQ grill uses new, and sometimes I use that as a backup tank and use the old screw in connection for my burner)

I'd say just hook it up and give it a try!

Really I had no idea I just noticed the outside threads like for my grill I didn't know it had the internal threads on the tank too. I'll have to check mine out. If mine doesn't have the internal and external threads can I just exchange it with a blue rhino tank and that should have both threads?

thanks

BMW-LDB

Most tru value stores have replacement tank connectors, both internal and external threads. I had to replace a high pressure reg. on my Brinkman. I use the only high pressure one I could find. It came from Menards no pressure rateing on the package or valve. It simple said High Pressure reg for Fryers bla bla bla.

I checked mine out last night and sure enough its got both connections. I just never even paid attention to that. So I'm going to give it a try and see how fast I can get a boil.

Hey mazdamike how fast does you kettle boil using you brinkman?

Thanks guys,

BMW-LDB

Hard to say, I only make 2.5 gal batchs. It will bring 3.5 gal to a rolling boil in about 5 min or less. Its quick enough you dont wont to walk away form it. On high flame the old Brinkman sounds like a jet.

Well I tried it over the week end and I brought 6 gallons to a boil in about 35 minutes and I didn't even turn it up all the way. Yeah mazda you are right that thing is like jet when it is all the way up. so I backed it off a bit and got boiling pretty quick so I was pretty siked. Plus I sold and extra riding mower for $300 so I'll be finishing up my equipment and probably be doing my first batch either saturday or next.

Thanks for the help and input guys.

BMW-LDB

Back