Steelhead 2.0 pump mounting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
How have you mounted your steelhead 2.0 pump. Pictures of your setup would be helpful. Thanks in advance and Cheers!

I just used a 2.5" hose clamp with some styrofoam packing around it to keep it from sliding too much. Had to modify the hose clamp a bit but I'm optimistic in this very simple solution. Will update once I put it into action. 1117161235.jpg

1117161235a.jpg

1117161235b.jpg

They work great and are dead silent. I have about 40 of them in stock. I've had one on my personal brew rig for a few months. The ones I have include a rubber mount but I actually prefer to camlock the pump directly to the vessel drain. Since it's so light, it's easy to save a hose assembly.

I just used a 2.5" hose clamp with some styrofoam packing around it to keep it from sliding too much. Had to modify the hose clamp a bit but I'm optimistic in this very simple solution.

Hey that's an interesting looking stand :) do you have a build thread for your stand?

Just bought 2 of these, in preparation of building a 3 vessel e-herms. Curious to see how others have mounted the pump as well.

I like how they separated the power supply from the pump.. Easier when space is a concern. Probably safer too.
the DC powersupply was attached to the pump? I dont remember this.. Are you sure you dont mean the mppt Booster circuitry they had mounted to the motor for its original solar powered applications?

Keep in mind that with these smaller pumps the lower you mount them the weaker they pump... This shouldnt be an issue because they are more than powerful enough but mounting directly to the kettle works a lot better with less waste as I discovered with the tan pps plastic dc pumps and the similar all plastic version of this pump when I used it.

EDIT I see the steelhead is an ac powered pump and the steelhead 2 is a DC powered version. Before having the steelhead logo on it, the cheaper DC powered version with this stainless head has been around for at least a couple years without the name for around a hundred bucks and sold as the topsflo TD5 stainless head version just like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPSFLO-TD5...9d827aa&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=3&sd=171415388077 (the all plastic version is only ($30-50)

In a nut shell this pump is really nothing new, Just a chinese made pump thats been sold for a little less for a couple years but without the marketing and branding it has now. Its similiar to the topsfloTD5 plastic version but I think this one has a sealed magnet which would be a big improvement over the plastic version. a lot of places like High gravity brewing have been selling these for a while as the TD5 (only they sell them with "a clever mount")... They normally run about $25 less with out the steelhead logo but they dont come with a $3 powersupply either and steelhead might have a better replacement warranty.

I bought my "Steelhead" just before Christmas when NB sent me a coupon. I was a little disappointed when I found there wasn't a mount for this pump like the Brew Hardware DC pump. With no mount, I searched and found this thread. I used the same basic plan as Jeremy, but stepped it up a notch. First of all, the motor body is basically 2". A 2" clamp will fit pretty tight and hold the pump nicely, but is basically metal on metal. I wanted some damping, so I stayed with the 2.5" electrical clamp. I then went to plumbing aisle and bought a rubber 2" PVC coupler, cut it down to the motor size and mounted the whole shebang. The pump is tight with 1/4" of rubber surrounding it.

2017-01-13 18.00.24.jpg

2017-01-13 18.00.41.jpg

2017-01-13 18.01.24.jpg

Is there a way to control this with PWW? I have 2 chuggers but would replace them with these if I can get a PWM control so I can directly control the flow from my controller as well as eliminate the loudest part of brewing rig.

Is there a way to control this with PWW? I have 2 chuggers but would replace them with these if I can get a PWM control so I can directly control the flow from my controller as well as eliminate the loudest part of brewing rig.

They likely won't work with pwm controllers because the motors are designed to be powered by solar panels so they have mppt technology in them to boost the lower voltage or higher voltage to make it consistent current. You can however use the cheaper tan PPS plastic food grade pumps with pwm because they do not have any mppt circuitry the 24 volt version of these is only 3.1 gallons per minute though

Back