Cooking tips I've learned being married to a chef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And thank you for taking it completely 100% off topic. :drunk:

Another really good tip is that if you are cooking steaks, or chops or swhatnot that will be either grilled or pan fried, it is good to let it sit out on the counter for 30-45 minutes prior to cooking. It will make for a much more consistent cook throughout.

Sorry, if someone already meantioned this but we got off topic for a while and I couldn't keep track.

Asked the wife about that one. She said she'll do that with any big hunk of meat, if she has time.

Another really good tip is that if you are cooking steaks, or chops or swhatnot that will be either grilled or pan fried, it is good to let it sit out on the counter for 30-45 minutes prior to cooking. It will make for a much more consistent cook throughout.

Sorry, if someone already meantioned this but we got off topic for a while and I couldn't keep track.

I'll do that with pork chops or chicken breasts, but if I'm making a medium rare steak, nothing better than going straight from a 37*F fridge to a 600+*F grill; pausing only for a quick pinch of kosher salt and some fresh pepper....

IMO, leaving meat out for 30 min or whatever depends greatly on the thickness of the steak and how hot you intend to cook it. I put the spurs to it via cast-iron skillet (handed down from my Grandma to my Mom to me). If the steak isn't thick enough and the pan isn't quite hot enough the steak will either be overcooked or won't have a nice crust.

Myth: Browning meat 'seals in the juices'. Bull**** it does no such thing, but browned meat tastes better.

Myth: Turning meat (steak/burgers) frequently is bad, you should only flip it once. Bull****, it actually cooks faster and more evenly when flipped frequently.

IMO, using high-smoke-point oil for steaks is better because the pan needs to be REALLY hot. Save the steak butter for after it's done.

FWIW, that perfect steaks article posted earlier says letting steaks sit out, salted, for between 0-40 minutes is the worst...it should be either longer or not at all. But I think there is a major flaw of that article and it is imo, a BIG key to getting a great sear/crust: the meat must be dry...totally dry when put into the pan. They were saying the extra water (pulled out with the salt) takes time to evaporate. NO, you must dry the meat with paper towels thoroughly before going into the pan.

From this past weekend:
2011-04-30222028.jpg

IMO, leaving meat out for 30 min or whatever depends greatly on the thickness of the steak and how hot you intend to cook it. I put the spurs to it via cast-iron skillet (handed down from my Grandma to my Mom to me). If the steak isn't thick enough and the pan isn't quite hot enough the steak will either be overcooked or won't have a nice crust.

Myth: Browning meat 'seals in the juices'. Bull**** it does no such thing, but browned meat tastes better.

Myth: Turning meat (steak/burgers) frequently is bad, you should only flip it once. Bull****, it actually cooks faster and more evenly when flipped frequently.

IMO, using high-smoke-point oil for steaks is better because the pan needs to be REALLY hot. Save the steak butter for after it's done.

FWIW, that perfect steaks article posted earlier says letting steaks sit out, salted, for between 0-40 minutes is the worst...it should be either longer or not at all. But I think there is a major flaw of that article and it is imo, a BIG key to getting a great sear/crust: the meat must be dry...totally dry when put into the pan. They were saying the extra water (pulled out with the salt) takes time to evaporate. NO, you must dry the meat with paper towels thoroughly before going into the pan.

From this past weekend:
2011-04-30222028.jpg

Yes
Yes
Yes
Oh, hell yes! :D

Good looking steak too.

I acutually dry and then brush all of my steaks with a thin layer of whatever high temp oil I have on hand before cooking.

you can buy a high-quality (Lodge), brand new, cast iron pan for like $20!

Exactly. You can caramelize food in a pan you have in your cubbard. You don't have to go spend $20 on a new pan.

Use the $20 towards a good instant read thermometer like a Thermapen Then you can learn to cook to a temperature rather than a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. You can caramelize food in a pan you have in your cubbard. You don't have to go spend $20 on a new pan.

Use the $20 towards a good instant read thermometer like a Thermapen Then you can learn to cook to a temperature rather than a time.

That reminds me of another tip. Learn to cook by feel not time or temp. Poking something repeatedly with a termo is going to cause it is lose a lot of juice and get dry.

Wehn you gently push meat with your finger it has a different resistence and spring based on how far it has cooked. Best way to learn is to actually. Make a bunch of kabobs. As they are cooking give one of the meat cubes a little squeeze and pay attention to how it feels. Then pull it off and cut it open and see what it is at. then let them cook a little longer and try it with another cube.

This also shows how it should feel.

It does take a while to learn and while you are learning it is good to use a thermo but it is very rare that I will pull out an instant thermo for steaks or chops or chicken pieces or anything anymore.

Crap you will never see a line cook or chef using: a thermometer. Unless you are making candy or smoking pork, the thermometer stays in the drawer. If you can't tell that it is done.... well...

That reminds me of another tip. Learn to cook by feel not time or temp. Poking something repeatedly with a termo is going to cause it is lose a lot of juice and get dry.

Wehn you gently push meat with your finger it has a different resistence and spring based on how far it has cooked. Best way to learn is to actually. Make a bunch of kabobs. As they are cooking give one of the meat cubes a little squeeze and pay attention to how it feels. Then pull it off and cut it open and see what it is at. then let them cook a little longer and try it with another cube.

This also shows how it should feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk4ji3wRKsc

It does take a while to learn and while you are learning it is good to use a thermo but it is very rare that I will pull out an instant thermo for steaks or chops or chicken pieces or anything anymore.
+1. And even different cuts feel different; a ribeye, strip, and filet will all feel a bit different but I don't think a thermometer is needed for steak/chops/chicken pieces, just the big hunks of meat. Even when using a thermo you still have to account for carryover heat.

If it weren't for jetmac's avatar...

Crap you will never see a line cook or chef using: a thermometer. Unless you are making candy or smoking pork, the thermometer stays in the drawer. If you can't tell that it is done.... well...

Agreed. The only thermometers you'll see in a pro kitchen are to check holding temps.

A pro cook would have an eye or a feel for when something is done. But when it comes to home cooks I think cooking to temperature works best. It would be very consistant and you don't burn your fingers

SpanishCastleAle said:
2888426 Even when using a thermo you still have to account for carryover heat.

True. And knowing how much to account for comes with experience.

Some of us still have the asbestos fingers from cooking for all those years. In the best kitchens, every cook will have one of those cheapo dial thermometers with the red holder (at a minimum) in their pocket at all times. It is used to check holding temps more than anything but I worked in several restaurants that served prime rib and it was def used there. Kitchen managers tend to get pissed when you overcook a whole rib.

You don't gash it a hundred times. I've never had any steak get dry using a Thermapen.

This thread is dying the death of 1000 paper cuts.
The OP was trying to provide some information.

If you disagree with what has been said then respond with a post or 2 an move on. Stop with this back and forth personal BS.

Try to be helpful instead of being "right".

No one listens to you if they think you're an a-hole.

Thanks ollllllllllo! I had a really good tip but we were closed and I couldn't post it. Now I forget.

Thanks a lot, ass!

Don't ban me! :D :mug:

Tip: wear gloves when cutting hot peppers (or at least wear a glove on your non-knife-holding hand and don't touch the peppers with your knife-holding hand). You can't really fully wash it off. Ran out of gloves and cut up a bunch of Serranos/Jalapenos/Red Chili peppers last night for Cinqo food (I know better but I ran out). Washed my hands several times. Several hours later wiped my eyes. D'oh!

Those pepper oils can be a pain in the ass to wash out. Anyone that has cut pepper sans gloves and gone to bathroom afterwards knows that.

Tip: wear gloves when cutting hot peppers (or at least wear a glove on your non-knife-holding hand and don't touch the peppers with your knife-holding hand). You can't really fully wash it off. Ran out of gloves and cut up a bunch of Serranos/Jalapenos/Red Chili peppers last night for Cinqo food (I know better but I ran out). Washed my hands several times. Several hours later wiped my eyes. D'oh!

Yep, done that, twice :eek:.

Nothing like having the back of your eyes feel like they are on fire.

I won't even touch them when I buy them. I will take the bag and turn it inside out and use that as a glove then just fold it back over them.

Yep, done that, twice :eek:.

Nothing like having the back of your eyes feel like they are on fire.

I won't even touch them when I buy them. I will take the bag and turn it inside out and use that as a glove then just fold it back over them.

When I worked in a pub we used to make our own jalapeno poppers by cuting them in half, pulling out the insides, stuffing them and breading them. The new guy in the kitchen was always given this job on his first day, and wouldn't be told to wear gloves or anything. He would then be goaded into chugging tons of water, and coke, etc until he had to pee.

Then he would go pee and we would all laugh when he got the burning....good times. :D Making me smile just remembering it....

tip from me: I have a ceramic flat top stove, so I can't use cast iron on it. I use stainless steel pans though, and I find they do as good a job as iron does for cooking in the home. Avoid teflon, it causes cancer.

I have another tip too: buy a decent set of knives. No need to spend 400$ for a crazy chef knife for the home, but don't buy the $10 set from walmart. Much better to spend $100 on a good knife (at least have one) for your kitchen.

Shun's "Classic" series is a good bang-for-the-buck. These are the knives we mostly use, except for a cheapo serrated bread knife. I could get by 99% of the time with just a paring knife and a chef's knife. No real reason to buy a set, unless it's just a 3-knife set.

I used to have a Henckel paring knife that was almost as nice as the Shun for half the price, I think I paid like $40 for it, IIRC.

Just remember that like any tool, routine maintenance will greatly increase the usefulness and longevity. A dull knife is a dangerous knife. You're way more likely to cut yourself with a dull knife than a sharp one.

I hone them every time I use them, and get them sharpened by a pro a few times a year.

tip from me: I have a ceramic flat top stove, so I can't use cast iron on it.

I use Cast Iron pans on my ceramic top stove all the time. Just make sure it has a flat bottom (some have a protruding ring on the bottom) and make sure the bottom is clean. Oh, don't drag it across the ceramic top of it could scratch it. The stove came with the house. Otherwise I wouldn't have one. Hoping it dies sometime soon so I can justify buying a gasser. Cheers!!!

Hoping it dies sometime soon so I can justify buying a gasser. Cheers!!!

have your wife break it like mine did. or, you break it.

all it took was a jar of bullion being dropped on top. was sweet to get a gas but running the line sucked...

Back