New Brewer with Hefeweizen Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbonewilly

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to brewing. I have made a few batches with a Mr. Beer kit and I currently have a batch of Copper's Australian Lager in bottles in my basement. My favorite beers of all time are Bavarian Hefeweizens. Living in Germany for three years will do that to ya! :) I'd love to brew one. I have a Cooper's wheat beer kit. What should I do to make this taste more like a real German Hefe? I hear that using liquid yeast will help. What should I use and where could I get such supplies from? Any and all input would be appreciated! Thanks y'all.

I used wyeast 3068 for my franziskaner clone. Excellent banana and clove flavor. Had a crisp clean finish. There is another heff strain from wyeast, but I don't know anything about it.

i just made one using WLP300. Fantastic. tasted almost as good as a hacker pschorr. well maybe not but it was really good.

with hefeweizen and weiss beers, the flavor stems from the yeast. i highly recommend this yeast strain.

also, if you steep a pound of flaked wheat or even malted wheat at 160ish for an hour, the head retention will be helped immensely.

enjoy

SORRY!!

Scratch that, not wyeast 3068, I used #WPL300, i thoguht that sounded off when I typed it.

Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat is real nice too. Good mix of banana clove and bubble gum esters.

Thank y'all. I'm going to go with WPL300. I really prefer Bavarian style beers. I had Ayinger down in Munich on tap..........Amazing! That was the BEST beer I've ever had. I had some pretty amazing stuff at the Hofbrauhaus as well.

benbonewilly said:
I'm pretty new to brewing. I have made a few batches with a Mr. Beer kit and I currently have a batch of Copper's Australian Lager in bottles in my basement. My favorite beers of all time are Bavarian Hefeweizens. Living in Germany for three years will do that to ya! :) I'd love to brew one. I have a Cooper's wheat beer kit. What should I do to make this taste more like a real German Hefe? I hear that using liquid yeast will help. What should I use and where could I get such supplies from? Any and all input would be appreciated! Thanks y'all.

I would really like to know how this turns out? This will also be my second brew.
Let me know what your steps are when you are done.

Thanks.

Back