Cold filtering - do most Micro Brews do this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My definition of "Cold Filtering" is surely wrong, but its what I use to describe "Cold Crashing" my beer to 30~32 degrees for two days, dropping the yeast, etc out of suspension.

Cold filtering is rare in the craft community and most of them don't pasteurize either. The beer can't bottle condition without live yeast.

hmmmm - I have tried over 75 micro brews and not one has yeast or sediment on the bottom - they MUST be filtered SOMEHOW.

I haven't had 75 different micro brews, but I have had several, and at least a couple have had yeast sediment on the bottom. One of them even had a label that encouraged you to harvest the yeast from the bottle.

Maybe I'm just unlucky??

When I decided to start making beer I made it a goal to TRY to taste every microbrew I can find (and keep the bottle for display).

Not one so far as had sediment (that I am aware of).

I'm not arguing - just trying to gain knowledge.

BTW - loop - you have one up there in the Cities I can not get my hands on.

Cold filtering is rare in the craft community and most of them don't pasteurize either. The beer can't bottle condition without live yeast.

It is not uncommon at all for microbreweries/craft breweries to filter.

And yes, whenever you filter beer, you always have it around 34-36F to coagulate as many of the proteins as you can into a filterable size.

Many microbrews that I have tried have sediment in the bottle. Sometimes I even look for it so I have a new strain of yeast. Its hard to beat a free yeast strain with a bottle of beer.:) Once I drink the beer I usually make a starter from the sediment. the current one is Ommegang Three Philosophers. This is the only one I'm unsure about since its a Belgian blended with a kreik(contains bacteria). But I do plan on experimenting with it.
Even pressure filtered micros can contain yeast. After all yeast is a single cell organism.

Maybe I'll have to look MORE closely - guess it's not a bad thing to DRINK that yeast = I never notice it. Had Rogue couple of nights ago - bottom was clear - must be in my tunmmy LOL

i just made 20gal of a blonde ale, and was thinking of cooling the beer down to
32°F, so that chill haze appears, and then filter it with a 5 micron commercial filter and after that force carb my beer.
I was wondering if there's any chance of contaminating beer and ruin it.
Do you think that the chill haze will dissappear if i do this?????

Back