My current issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
I brewed the Rogue Brewery dead guy recipe tonight. The recipe indicates that after all the cooking there should be around one and a half gallons of wart left in the pot. This after starting with three gallons and a total of an hour and ten minutes of boiling adding various amount hops etc during the process

Well in my case; there was two gallons in the pot after finishing the recipe directions for the cooking. The recipe says that when cooking is finished to add water to the pot so you don't risk harming the fermenter with scalding wort ; so I added a gallon and a half to the pot and transfered the wort to fermenter. Then as the recipe instructs, I added cold water to the 5 gallon mark. (cold water) well my water was room temp when I bought it and I didn't have refrigerator space for it so I set it outside in 45F while I brewed the beer. it was out there for about 2 1/2 hours.

Point of the story ...I cant seem to cool the wort. the recipe suggests that as the cold water is added it cools the wort. Well I have 2 things going against me...more hot wort than the recipe indicated and the cold water was probably not as cold as it should have been. and now the wort is still at 86f after an hour of trying to cool it.

Its almost midnight and I'm sleepy. What is the highest temp I can pitch is push comes to shove? I'm using White Labs American ale yeast blend WLP060
Everything else went great! I just cant seem to get things cold enough to pitch

Thanks

You COULD pitch it now, and the yeast should be fine, but it definately isn't ideal. That warm and you may develope a lot of fruity esters in the initial fermentation period. Try to cool it down in an ice bath if you can.

no stores near by that are open and I already used up all the ice in my freezer it is currently is a deep sink of cold water with small frozen jugs. I will just have to wait. Not worth comprising all the work I did tonight. I can sleep when Im dead...

leave it until tommorow and pitch when you wake uo....i do occasionally and they end uo fine if your sanitation was good....

bahh, put it in the sink with the coldest tap water that you can get.

Then watch TV for awhile and change out the water. I usually put the lid on the pot for around five minutes before taking the wort off the heat. Then leave it in the sink with the lid on. Let it cool enough that I can touch the sides of the pot without burning myself.

I am very paranoid about pouring hot wort into a carboy, so I make sure its cool enough not to burn me, and I have cool water in it already.

at 80 now and dropping a bit faster. 20 minutes until 70...guess its time to watch some family guy!. Thanks for the advise everyone!

Who needcs sleep, I'm certainly not getting any. Almnost 3 am here, yimte for snoythr berer.

Back