clogged keg...what do i do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
i tried to tap my keg and its clogged with hop/yeast debris. the picnic faucet just wont shoot any beer. i assume i should take the dip tube out and clean it. do i bleed all the pressure on my keg and turn the gas off? i assume just fix the clog, sanitize, put it back in, and carb up again?

Definitely bleed out pressure before opening the keg. I've done it 2 ways. First time I transfered to a clean keg by siphon, 2nd time I took post off, cleaned and sanitized and then re installed. New keg is safer because then you know it wont happen again because any crap you had in there will stay in the old keg. Either way works.

Definitely bleed out pressure before opening the keg. I've done it 2 ways. First time I transfered to a clean keg by siphon, 2nd time I took post off, cleaned and sanitized and then re installed. New keg is safer because then you know it wont happen again because any crap you had in there will stay in the old keg. Either way works.

cool. did you bleed the pressure all the way on the keg or leave anything? did you notice any flaws in your beer when you attempted this? i would do the transfer if i had another keg on hand, im only working w/ 1 keg right now...

Release the pressure, Put the gas line on the beer out tap, blast that **** with 20psi, release pressure, repeat, replace beer line, see if line is clear and stays clear.

That's what I'd do before going through the effort of transferring to a new keg.

i just unclogged the dip tube 5 ****ing times and its still clogging? is this beer toast? im not sure how to blast 20psi on the beer out tap. it doesnt seem to be absorbing any co2 to give anything to bleed on the keg...

i just unclogged the dip tube 5 ****ing times and its still clogging? is this beer toast? im not sure how to blast 20psi on the beer out tap. it doesnt seem to be absorbing any co2 to give anything to bleed on the keg...

Take your beer out disconnect, hook it on to the gas line
hook disconnect to beer out post
blast it with co2 to get the crap out of the dip tube.

If it keeps clogging, is it the same piece of crap clogging your dip tube? Or is it a pile of hop debris down at the bottom of the keg to keep clogging it up? If you are able to clear the clog, and then the dip tube reclogs, either dip tube was not fully cleared in the first place, or there is a supply of debris available to reclog your tube. If you inadvertently racked a bunch of hops into your keg that is continuing to clog up your output, the easiest thing to do may be to rerack it to a clean keg, being careful to leave behind all debris. If it is just a single stubborn clog, pulling the diptube would be easiest.

Back