Recipe tweaks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blanchy

Reaction score
Hi all-

I just tried my latest batch of cider, and it is wayyy too much like white wine, albeit carbonated. Will using an ale yeast change this? In this last batch I used Lalvin D-47, which (surprise surprise) is recommended as a white wine yeast.

My recipe was as follows-
4/5 Mott's 100% AJ
1/5 Earl Grey tea
1lb Honey

It spent two months in primary before I bottled, and spent three weeks bottle conditioning.

Any suggestions for lessening the "winey" flavor?

Most yeasts will take a cider down below 1.000 specific gravity, so unless you stop the fermentation and/or backsweeten you'll pretty much always should expect something wine-like. Obviously, different yeasts will provide different flavors, but most of the wine character I perceive in ciders is the dryness. With My first cider (a few years ago), I used straight fresh apple cider and an ale yeast (s-04, I believe) in an attempt to leave it more sweet. It finished at 0.997 or thereabouts. In the end I really liked it, but it was definitely reminiscent of a dry white wine. Basically, you need to actively do something to make it less wine-like. In my experience, changing the yeast is not enough.

Back