Cider Bottling yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a "Strong sweet cider"... pressed five gallons of juice, 1 lb of dark brown sugar, 1 lb of cherries, 1 lb of whie raisins, 1 lb of red currants (I mentioned it on another thread in his forum).

I pitched WL Eng Cider Yeast for fermentation and now I'm ready to bottle.

I'm well over 8.5% ABV since my OG was 1061 and FG was at 1000 even. But that OG was just after I dumped all of the fruit in so that had to be a low estimate as all of the sugars fro the fruit hadn't leached out yet.

Anyway, I'm curious what I should use for a bottling yeast becuase I've finished out a little sweet which is exactly how I wanted it so I do NOT want to use a champaign yeast. But I'm nervous that the Eng Cider Yeast will crap out and not carb with the high ABV.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking about just using a basic London or Irish Ale yeast but I'm not sure if it will make any material difference in taste.

if the cider is currently less than one year old from pitching, and you never used sorbate or some other chemical to kill the yeast, then you don't need to worry about a bottling strain. Just prime the cider with 1oz of sugar per gallon and bottle like normal.

what if that yeast is already maxed out. He did say it finished sweet, I

would assume that the yeast crapped out. But hey what do I know, You

know what they say when you assume

Well the FG was 1.000 and it was only in the range of 9% I'm not familiar with that yeast, does anyone know its alcohol tolerance. But at 1.000 it isn't exactly sweet, so I would assume you could bottle carbonate.

that's exactly why I was asking... I was thinking the yeast crapped out a bit.

Too late. I didn't have time to screw around with it and it's done.

We'll see. I'll keep my fingers crossed because it's a really nice cider so far.

WLP775 English Cider Yeast:
Classic cider yeast. Ferments dry, but retains flavor from apples. Sulfur is produced during fermentation, but will disappear in first two weeks of aging. Can also be used for wine and high gravity beers.
Attenuation: >80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-75°F
Alcohol Tolerance: Medium-High

white labs gives no specific tolerance.

also your ABV
ABW = 76.08(OG-FG)/(1.775-OG).
ABV = ABW (FG/.794).

I'm getting it well under 8.5 maybe. Unless this formula is wrong or my math.

It depends on which of what seems like 22 different computations to get to ABV. I'm getting about 8% but like I was saying, that OG was based on just the fresh juice and the brown sugar. I added another three pounds of fruit (cherries, raisins and currants) that would not have really added anything to OG at the time I took it.

So I'm looking at a minimul ABV of about 8%. White Labs guidance on their alcohol tolerance for "Medium-high" is (I beleive) 8%-12%...

I really don't think I topped out anywhere near 12% so I don't think it's going to be a big deal no matter what. I'm guessing the WL775 will be able to handle it but the fact that it finished out a little sweet had me nervous.

The purpose of the thread was really to see if I could toss another basic yeast in just to carb up in the hopes that the fresh pitch and the little bit of extra priming sugar would carb up the bottles without drying the cider out.

Like I was saying though... I already bottled the whole batch. Hopefully they'll carb. I'll check 'em in a week and we'll see.

It depends on which of what seems like 22 different computations to get to ABV. I'm getting about 8% but like I was saying, that OG was based on just the fresh juice and the brown sugar. I added another three pounds of fruit (cherries, raisins and currants) that would not have really added anything to OG at the time I took it.

So I'm looking at a minimul ABV of about 8%. White Labs guidance on their alcohol tolerance for "Medium-high" is (I beleive) 8%-12%...

I really don't think I topped out anywhere near 12% so I don't think it's going to be a big deal no matter what. I'm guessing the WL775 will be able to handle it but the fact that it finished out a little sweet had me nervous.

The purpose of the thread was really to see if I could toss another basic yeast in just to carb up in the hopes that the fresh pitch and the little bit of extra priming sugar would carb up the bottles without drying the cider out.

Like I was saying though... I already bottled the whole batch. Hopefully they'll carb. I'll check 'em in a week and we'll see.
good luck

I didn't even consider the fruit. :(

Back