The Walking dead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BargainMugs said:
Most movies and shows, including the Walking Dead have no zombie culture/knowledge/lore previous to the zombie apocalypse.

It's also known as genre blindness.

Yeah I guess if the characters exist in a universe where zombies are real it's not a huge stretch to believe that they don't have zombie movies in that universe.

what i want to know is why it seems like no character in a zombie movie or show seems like they have ever seen a zombie movie or show. i would think if there were a zombie apocalypse, unless you've been in a cave for the past thirty years, you would at least have a pretty good awareness of what to do, zombie behavior, etc. They don't even know that when you have a long drawn out fight with a zombie and just barely kill them before they kill you, not to relax and catch your breath- because if they do that the camera will pan in for a close up, and when it pans back, there will be a zombie sneaking up on you. somebody should step up and say- "wait - i saw dead alive"- or something...

You missed SEAN of THE FREAKING DEAD?????????????

One of my top 5 ANY movies ever.

Watch it NOW. You are banned from any further Zed discussion until your zed ed is complete.

You missed SEAN of THE FREAKING DEAD?????????????

One of my top 5 ANY movies ever.

Watch it NOW. You are banned from any further Zed discussion until your zed ed is complete.

i did see shaun - forgot about that one, though that was a great zombie movie. i guess hot fuzz erased my memory. i prob should have said most zombie universes. genre blindness- i love it - like when spanish people don't have any copies of "of mice and men" laying around in their soap operas...

spearko520 said:
i did see shaun - forgot about that one, though that was a great zombie movie. i guess hot fuzz erased my memory. i prob should have said most zombie universes. genre blindness- i love it - like when spanish people don't have any copies of "of mice and men" laying around in their soap operas...

What was wrong with Hot Fuzz? Excellently done. Run Fatboy Run, on the other hand...

What was wrong with Hot Fuzz? Excellently done. Run Fatboy Run, on the other hand...

i still can't figure out who the killer was!!!
in run fatboy run, that is.
i thought it was a documentary on food related rap music.
i did like simon pegg as scotty in the new star trek...

HELL!!!!!!

WD kinda pulled from S of TD with the whole "pretend you are a zed, and walk among them" (allbeit more gruesomely) bit where the chopped up poor whatsisname and wiped him all over.

cheezydemon3 said:
HELL!!!!!!

WD kinda pulled from S of TD with the whole "pretend you are a zed, and walk among them" (allbeit more gruesomely) bit where the chopped up poor whatsisname and wiped him all over.

Eh...that scene came straight from the comics, which predates Sean of the Dead.

HELL!!!!!!

yeah - and did i miss something (i know its par for the course with the genre) but wasn't there a time when they couldn't get the blood and guts of the walkers on your skin? Hygiene is the first thing to go in a post apocalyptic zombie-verse

spearko520 said:
yeah - and did i miss something (i know its par for the course with the genre) but wasn't there a time when they couldn't get the blood and guts of the walkers on your skin? Hygiene is the first thing to go in a post apocalyptic zombie-verse

Depending on what you consider the canon or rules of zombies, gunk is OK as long as aren't bitten or scratched, specifically. Some movies extend this to fluid contact with a mucus membrane (mouth, eyes, etc). I believe walking dead is strictly a bite, at least I don't think the series has ever directly addressed being scratched. I don't want to post spoilers for WD, but there has always been a contradiction I don't understand.

I think a lot of it depends on how the universe creator deals with what turns you into a zombie (virus, radiation) and are you dead and risen (Romero, WD) or just hyper aggressive (28 Days Later).

Depending on what you consider the canon or rules of zombies, gunk is OK as long as aren't bitten or scratched, specifically. Some movies extend this to fluid contact with a mucus membrane (mouth, eyes, etc). I believe walking dead is strictly a bite, at least I don't think the series has ever directly addressed being scratched. I don't want to post spoilers for WD, but there has always been a contradiction I don't understand.

I think a lot of it depends on how the universe creator deals with what turns you into a zombie (virus, radiation) and are you dead and risen (Romero, WD) or just hyper aggressive (28 Days Later).

I believe in the first season the son and father who found Rick asked Rick if he had been scratched or bitten?

Walking Dead seems to use the bite or scratch therory, and plays safe by avoiding zombie goo to exposed skin when possible. When Rick & Glenn got slathered with Zombie "goo" to make them smell like zombies in season 1 they donned painting suits, and told others not to get any on their exposed skin, and used a face shield when hacking zombie corpse to paste. Season 2 the "Well walker" they shut down the well after zombie contaminated water supply.

In the "smear zombie on yourself" scene, Rick did say something about not getting any in your eyes. I have seen nothing in the show that would lead me to think it safe to have zed blood squirt in my eye.

What I don't understand about the Walking Dead is, they have pointed out that you don't have to be scratched/bitten to become infected. Everybody already has it. Dying in anyway turns you. So what is a bite/scratch doing that is accelerating the process? It isn't introducing the virus because they all clearly have the virus already. I can only assume it's adding MORE of the virus but it still seems ridiculous to me.

That's a pretty big spoiler that the show hasn't touched on...

And that is what I referenced when I talked about the weird contradiction.

I was actually being sarcastic. I've read a few of them, but I'm sure many people have only watched the show.

Maybe a spoiler tag show be thrown in the thread title.

I didn't know that, but personally I could care less at this point. I only care about spoilers with shows that have my complete attention. Walking Dead is a mess right now so it's no big deal to me. Actually, it makes things better now because I know a few of the characters I hate might become zombies!

I didn't know that, but personally I could care less at this point. I only care about spoilers with shows that have my complete attention. Walking Dead is a mess right now so it's no big deal to me. Actually, it makes things better now because I know a few of the characters I hate might become zombies!

That would rule!

Rick and Shane are going to have it out soon. They have to.

Yup! I wonder if its going to go down like it did in the comics or if they are giing to keep dragging it out. I think Shane is an awesome character though.

Rick won't kill him. I'll bet he beat the hell out of him. Shane leaves just to come back at a later time. No way they kill off Shane. He will come back with old boys one handed brother!

Yup! I wonder if its going to go down like it did in the comics or if they are giing to keep dragging it out. I think Shane is an awesome character though.
I loved his ending in the comics. On the downside, I have grown to hate almost every early character by the last issue I read. I like Andrea much better in the comics, however Laurie Holden is a great choice for her role in the series. I just hope they don't bring in some of the characters I dislike from the comics who haven't been introduced yet but wouldn't mind a couple of them appearing at all.

This really was the best episode in a LOOOOOONG time. It really balanced all the character "drama" with tension and with plenty of zombie action as well. First episode in a long time I truly enjoyed.

revvy said:
this really was the best episode in a loooooong time. It really balanced all the character "drama" with tension and with plenty of zombie action as well. First episode in a long time i truly enjoyed.

+1

Revvy said:
This really was the best episode in a LOOOOOONG time. It really balanced all the character "drama" with tension and with plenty of zombie action as well. First episode in a long time I truly enjoyed.

As usual, Revvy says it best

I totally agree. I didn't say "that's it", after the episode was over.

"t bone- get the shotgun!!!"- he's the best character! he lays low outside the drama, knowing that way none of the viewers will have strong emotive ties to him one way or another, thus ensuring his survival. on a different note, we were discussing this morning- are the walkers drawn to blood, and if so, has the issue of menses been addressed? this seems like it would be even more of an issue in a post apocalyptic world than it is already...

They're really ramping up the excitement! I imagine the next two episodes will prove to be just as nuts. Revvy, I'm with you! I was yelling at the TV ... Didn't see that coming at all!

Anyone else get the feeling that Carl is heading down the path of serial killer status? Watching him tease the z that was stuck in the mud, and then wanting to see his dad kill the outsider.

Had the zombipocalypse not happened insects would have started losing legs and wings, and neighbor's pets would have started being discovered eviscerated.

Anyone else get the feeling that Carl is heading down the path of serial killer status? Watching him tease the z that was stuck in the mud, and then wanting to see his dad kill the outsider.

not read the comics i take it? shane should be long gone by now

Latest posts

Back