Wlp300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eobie

Reaction score
First time using this yeast. Right under the foam... What is that stuff?

image-89857667.jpg

68 degrees, right on the money. Great job! If you want more phenelics and esthers, you can raise the temp a tad, even up to 72.

Nanobru said:
68 degrees, right on the money. Great job! If you want more phenelics and esthers, you can raise the temp a tad, even up to 72.

No way to control temp right now. In time.....:)

First time I switched from buckets to carboys, I freaked out because it looked like my beer was boiling. It was just the colonies of yeast doing their thing.

This was a super fast ferment. 1.045 to 1.009 in 30 hours.I'll check back this saturday and if it is the same should i be ok bottling. kettle to bottle in 6 days?

finishingup.JPG

no let it sit for 3-4 weeks in primary to let the yeast clean things up and fall out.

There was a time when I would tell you that this was nuts for a Hefeweizen, and that ideal flavor would be achieved in 2-3 weeks. But now I completely agree with you, My current Hefe is the best I've ever made, better than MOST commercial brands, IMHO, and it took an extra week or two in the keg to really come together. YMMV.

Why couldn't I have seen this 45 minutes ago? Just got done bottling this! Well, at any rate, it tasted great...

It was my first time using wlp300 last week. It was a super fresh batch and the stuff is nuts. 1 vial, no starter and low (55-63) temps. I've gathered tons of yeast from the blowoff and have crazy thick krausen for a week now. I would use fermcap next time but cut down on some hops in a hefe. Anybody else see this kind of action?

It was my first time using wlp300 last week. It was a super fresh batch and the stuff is nuts. 1 vial, no starter and low (55-63) temps. I've gathered tons of yeast from the blowoff and have crazy thick krausen for a week now. I would use fermcap next time but cut down on some hops in a hefe. Anybody else see this kind of action?

Fermcap doesn't help much against WLP300 -- I've used 3x the amount I should have had to, with no avail. Just leave plenty of headspace, and keep it cool, there's not much else you can do.

Also, I wouldn't let it go 3-4 weeks. As long as your gravity has stabilized, go ahead and bottle. Hefe's are best enjoyed fresh.

I just used this 2 brews ago and after 2 weeks it had finished fermenting but had a strong sulfur like smell. I let it sit another 2 weeks and the yeast cleaned everything up and just left me with the nice banana aroma I wanted. Just my experience, I cant speak for everyone.

I just used WLP 300 for the first time - I made a 1 liter starter, decanted, and stepped up the starter again

The stepped up starter took off like crazy in 3 hours, so I pitched into my wort and the bubbling was crazy in less than 10 hours! Also added 2# of wildflower honey after it was cooled, so I hope I can retain some of that dark honey flavor

cant wait!

I'm fermenting around 65-68 and almost 24 hours in right now...but I'm at work reading about everyone needing a blow off tube, which I don't have right now

so i was considering leaving work to make sure it didn't blow up everywhere in my beer room. but i'm hoping that everything is okay because I'm fermenting on the cool side and there almost 1 gallon of head space in the bucket...THANKFULLY not doing this in a carboy

Back