Ahh! Didn't know I was supposed to rinse rice hulls

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rinsed the hulls I used when I made my pumpkin ale and, despite several warnings here to the contrary, I didn't see anything that seemed to rinse off of them at all...

At least two HBT'ers told me that they'd be filthy and the rinse water would be nasty. Neither statement matched my experience...

i think he means pre soaking the hulls i water, i've never done it but some people do.

To quote Marcellus Wallace: "You feel better, mutha f**ka'?"

Seriously, you're fine. Cheers!

I've never rinsed them. And my beers have turned out fine. Why would anyone fell the need to rinse them? We don't rinse our grain before putting it in the mash tun.

I've never rinsed them. And my beers have turned out fine. Why would anyone fell the need to rinse them? We don't rinse our grain before putting it in the mash tun.

I remember reading on here that it was to prevent wort absorbtion. Maybe it was EdWort who talked about that.

They're hulls...grain husks. They don't absorb much water al all.

Even if it did, it would be no different than mashing in with a little less water (though brewing software takes absorption into account anyways).

Pre-soaking something isn't going to prevent it from absorbing sugars and other soluble compounds in the wort around it.

Back