carbonate bottles with alka seltzer..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timgman

Reaction score
Could it be possible to use sodium bicarbonate to carbonate beer instantly?
ahem... if it is I want a patent... hehehe
does alkaseltzer come asprin free?
maybe we need to test...
man I'm crazy..

Alka Seltzer has an acid (citric acid) and a base (sodium bicarbonate) that mix to form the CO2 gas. If you just used Baking soda, you would also need to add an acid. Then, you would be adding CO2, but also adding sodium carbonate and water as the byproducts of the reaction, even if you used pure NaHCO3. And Alka Seltzer has other "stuff" in it as well. Again, it sounds like a pretty bad idea. Feel free to try... :confused: :drunk: :confused:

I can't imagine this tasting anything but bad. Green beer + gack.

Your idea, you do the test. Let us know.

We used to carbonate homemade root beer with dry ice. But alka-seltzer has that semi-salty taste....yuk.

I was looking at ways to carbonate individual bottles as well. I drink my own beer yeast and all but when I give home brew as a gift I get compliments but there is almost always a "compliment" regarding clarity. I say "compliment" because they usually say something like "It tasted great and was pretty clear for home brew", which tells me that it's getting stirred up some way or another before/during pouring.

Anyways, I wanted to clear it like wine by killing the yeast and carb it with a tablet or something so I'd have a product without a little yeast cake in every bottle.

Back