Creating two starters from one smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chalmer9

Reaction score
Hey all -

Quick question. I have two all grain kits I'm about to brew that both use the Wyeast 1056. I had a wild idea to save money by creating a starter from the yeast, then splitting the starter in two...and creating a starter out of each other those...thus having a starter for both brews from one smack pack. Is this a good idea? Thanks.

Sure, that will work, just make sure you get things started with enough time to step up each starter prior to brewing

Sure, that will work, just make sure you get things started with enough time to step up each starter prior to brewing

I agree, it should work just fine, but you will have to do multiple steps of decanting and adding more sugar to get the right pitch rates.

Just step up the single pack as if you were brewing a 10g batch, then pitch half into one batch and half into the other. That'd be easier than doing two separate starters. (assuming you have a large-enough starter vessel)

Back