Polyethylene Line Resistance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SudsGuy

Reaction score
I've looked and can't find the info I'm looking for. I'm trying to balance my kegerator (in the design stage). I'd like to use polyethylene tubing (like the stuff at Lowes) going from the keg output (at 12psi) to my Perlick Tap Tower (see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/perlick-tower-questions-179021/). The kegerator will be built from a freezer, so have a rise of about 3'. However, all the line restrictions I've seen quoted seem to be in regard to the clear (polypropelene, I believe) tubing. The only info for polyethylene is 6psi/ft and I have a hard time believing that's right.

Does anyone know how polyethylene differs from the other stuff, restriction wise? Do you have that info for both 3/16" and 1/4"?

I use polythylene as well and had a hard time tracking down restriction numbers. Mine is 1/4" BevSeal Ultra 235 which has a special liner (I think its PET). This liner caused my restriction to be .4 PSI per foot according to the manufacturer. I don't expect that is the case for all polythylene though. I would HIGHLY recommend the same type I used for a long distance run (mine goes from basement to kitchen). Even at that distance I had too little restriction and had to use epoxy mixers. If you're going on a shorter run, you might consider this but I'd recommend something with more restriction.

Back