Listermann???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Listermann's basic kit? Money is an issue for me, and I'm in the free shipping zone (East of the Mississippi River). It's only $56. If anyone has used this kit, I'd like your feedback. Please include any notes on additional items you had to purchase to make this kit effective.

Thanks!

It seems roughly similar, based on the description, to the basic kit from More Beer, only the Listermann kit is $13 less expensive. Both companies have free shipping.

It sounds like going with Listermann's would be a no-brainer, but you never know. Hopefully someone has had some experience with Listermann's kits.

You are going to need a 20 quart pot, a sturdy long-handled spoon for stirring, a couple of thermometers. You might need some extra vinyl tubing from someplace like Home Depot. The kit description doesn't really say how much is included. Then you'll end up using some other common household items like measuring cups.

You could actually make do with a 16 quart pot, but a 20 quart is better. Down the road you might want a bigger one for all grain brewing, if you decide to do that.

A long stem turkey frying thermometer that clips onto the edge of the pot is nice while you are steeping grains, as you don't want the water to go over 160. But almost any thermometer will do.

You'll need bottle caps (might be in the kit, but they are cheap anyway) and bottles (start buying beer in bottles that has lift off, not screw off, caps, e.g., Sam Adams and many other microbrews). You'll need 55 or so bottles. Not all are suitable, but there's a thread around here that mentions a lot of the brands that are good. Collecting bottles is fun, if you have to drink the beer in order to collect the bottle! :tank:

That's really all the essential equipment that I see that is missing from the kit. The kit probably doesn't come with an autosiphon. That'll be nice to have, but not essential. Iodophor makes sanitizing easy, but there are cheaper alternatives that work (e.g., bleach).

Back