i'm looking for a hop rod rye extract clone recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsouth

Reaction score
greets all. i'm looking for a hop rod rye clone to brew in the near future. i've searched the forum, but apparently all the words being three letters is preventing such a search.

thanks in advance.

cheers
j

You have to mash the rye to get the full flavor out of it, and extract doesn't have any enzymes in it. You can steep rye, but I've found it's just not the same.

Adding a lb or two of 2 row malt to your steeping grains and doing a minimash would work out though.

You're better off mashing it with 6-row. It has more enzymatic power.

I would agree...
i just did a partial mash yesterday with 1 pound of rye, 1.5 pounds of flaked rye and, 1.5 pounds of cara/munich/special B, and 2 pounds of 2 - row (to go along with 3 pounds of DME).

Temps were hit right on, but I missed target OG by .006. I think it was because I did not have enough enzymes for the mash. 6-row, or more 2-row, might have been better.

Still tasted great and it was rocking away in the fermenter within 12 hours - really going nuts today!
:ban:

I would agree...
i just did a partial mash yesterday with 1 pound of rye, 1.5 pounds of flaked rye and, 1.5 pounds of cara/munich/special B, and 2 pounds of 2 - row (to go along with 3 pounds of DME).

Temps were hit right on, but I missed target OG by .006. I think it was because I did not have enough enzymes for the mash. 6-row, or more 2-row, might have been better.

As long as you mashed for an hour, there's enough enzymes in the 2 row to convert everything in this grain bill. It's more likely you didn't sparge enough water through the grain to get all the available sugars out. And as long as it tastes good, all the better!

Back