collecting yeast from a conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THEDIETZ

Reaction score
Hello. I recently bought a blichmann conical. I am curious about yeast reusing from this.

I brew my beers in a keggle and use a hop bag...so the only trub that hits my fermentor is cold break ( and i am sure a little other stuff gets through).

With conicals i hear people waiting until fermentation kicks off...and then 24 hours later taking about 8oz out of the bottom dump and that this is mostly trub to throw out. Is this a good method and is it correct?

when i go to collect my yeast do i need to follow the yeast washing sticky or since I will have minimal trub...can i just put some boiled sanitized water (chilled first of course) into my conical after i collected the beer....give the whole conical a swirl and collect straight from the bottom dump?

Thanks for the advice !!!

I've read that commercial brewers try and collect the middle 1/3 of the yeast cake and toss the rest. I think this practice is mostly an attempt to eliminate selecting yeast that is more or less flocculant than the general population. Might take a few runs to figure out how to effectively do this though.

Personally, I wouldn't go by time, I would go by fermentation activity. During vigorous primary the beer is churning and staying mixed pretty well, I would wait until it slows down, however long that takes. Then, like you said, draw off the bottom trub and toss it. Collect what you want from the middle portion and then discard the rest.

Edit. If your primary concern is getting the break material and useless trub out as quickly as possible, you could wait an hour after filling the conical and dump the trub and then pitch your yeast.

Back