Getting yeast cake out of keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paradoc

Reaction score
Greetings,

I recently racked a beer from my primary to the keg, planning to use the keg as my secondary and dry-hopping. It was in primary about 10 days, and in the keg at room temp for another 2 weeks. A few days ago I put it in my kegerator and carb'd it for a few days. But when I pour a beer now I'm getting a very cloudy pour with LOTS of yeast. Is there a trick for decanting the yeast-cake if you used a keg as your secondary? I don't want to waste too much beer if possible.

Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend using the keg as a secondary-->final keg scenario unless I primaried for three, yes three weeks at a minimum. The only other solution I can think of would be to hack off a few inches of the post in the corny. While this is an ideal solution this is not really recommended since your still leaving beer behind in the keg.

Just don't move the keg around. After a few draws the yeast will be too far from the tube to come out. You'll see a clean spot surrounded by yeast when the keg kicks.

Yeah, you can cut the dip tube, bend it or as baldy said, just pull a few pints and dont move the keg. After a while you'll start pouring without the yeast.

Take a 2L bottle and fill it until the beer runs clear. Set the bottle in the fridge until it settles. Drink.

Do not move keg until all is drin'd.

I go fermenter to keg, but I wait until it has cleared. 4-5 weeks.

Back