Erie County, NY- Chlorine or Chloramine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffaloipa

Reaction score
Here is a link to the Erie County Water Authority Website. It states that they treat with chlorine but it seems most municipalities use chloramine these days. Anyone else here brew in Erie County and not use campden tablets? This will be my 2nd all grain batch. My first I used spring water but I'm looking to save some the extra $$$ and annoyance of buying it.

Here is a link to the Erie County Water Authority Website. It states that they treat with chlorine but it seems most municipalities use chloramine these days. Anyone else here brew in Erie County and not use campden tablets? This will be my 2nd all grain batch. My first I used spring water but I'm looking to save some the extra $$$ and annoyance of buying it.

$3 a pound for SO2 and it no longer matters which the water is treated with.

It's simple enough to tell which is being used. Pour a tumbler full and let it sit overnight. Next morning sniff while pouring back and forth between a pair of tumblers. If you can still smell chlorine then the water has been chloraminated. If not, it has been treated with just chlorine.

Back