Water profile for Framingham, MA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickngrin

Reaction score
Hi,
I've obtained the municipal water quality report for where I live (Framingham, MA) in the past, and it lacks some of the key information for brewing purposes. I understand that I can pay a lab to do an analysis and that this would only represent a snapshot in time. Does anyone know about the water here, and if so, recommendations for additions based on style? I like brewing English styles and West Coasty IPAs.
I routinely use part of a Campden tablet to address the chloramine but otherwise don't make other additions.
Thanks!
PnG

I'm almost certain that Framingham is on the MDC/MWRA system and your water comes from Quabbin. That's a fairly huge reservoir and unlikely to see significant changes in constitution vs time, making the investment on a brewer's water test more valuable.

Many of us got our tests done by Ward Labs.

https://www.wardlab.com/submit-a-sample/water-analysis/household-brewery-water-sampling-procedure/
W-5A Brewer’s Test: Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Carbonate, Bicarbonate, Chloride, Iron, Sulfate, Nitrate, Electrical Conductivity, Est.Total Dissolved Solids, pH, Total Hardness (Lime), Total Alkalinity & Total Phosphorus.

Cheers!

I'm almost certain that Framingham is on the MDC/MWRA system and your water comes from Quabbin. That's a fairly huge reservoir and unlikely to see significant changes in constitution vs time, making the investment on a brewer's water test more valuable.

Many of us got our tests done by Ward Labs.

https://www.wardlab.com/submit-a-sample/water-analysis/household-brewery-water-sampling-procedure/
W-5A Brewer’s Test: Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Carbonate, Bicarbonate, Chloride, Iron, Sulfate, Nitrate, Electrical Conductivity, Est.Total Dissolved Solids, pH, Total Hardness (Lime), Total Alkalinity & Total Phosphorus.

Cheers!
Thanks, Day Trippr! Yes, the water comes from Quabbin. It's helpful to know that significant changes in the water over time are unlikely. I'll submit a sample to Ward Labs.

400+ billion gallons ain't moving anywhere in a hurry :)

Note if you use Wards you don't need to use their kit. A small disposable water bottle (eg: 6 or 8 ounce) in a small box will work just fine and save some $$

Cheers!

Thanks! I did some thread searching about that. I'll send them a sample this week. It's great that they have such a quick turnaround time.

My Wilbraham Quabbin water is soft as all get out, very nice. I really should test again as it's been a while since I last did but their report continues to say "water is considered very soft" every time, and Ward matched their numbers when I tested, so I really don't worry too much about it.

Do you mean that Ward matched the MWRA's numbers?
For total dissolved solids and such. I think I have a spreadsheet (shocker) somewhere...

Oh look, I had a spreadsheet
1672507847134.png

Back