does WLP028 always take a long time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palefire

Reaction score
Anyone else had experience with this yeast? Using it on an IPA right now, OG 1.061, and it's been working forever ... brewed 9 days ago, pitched a proper amount of yeast, oxygenated, etc. It's still going! Airlock is still bubbling so I took a quick peek ... there's still krausen on this beer!

Haven't taken a hydro sample, since I'm not really worried about it; just seems to be taking its time. Usually even big-ish or mid-gravity beers like this finish up for me (or mostly finish up) in 5-6 days. There was major blowoff for the first couple of days, so I figured it was working quickly ... apparently not?

Anyone used this yeast and noticed this sort of activity before? Like I said, I'm not really worried, but it just seems weird.

(Oh, I fermented at 65f for 2 days, then raised the temp one degree per day until it hit 69f, then kept it there. Had to take it out of my ferm chamber to put another brew in, so it's sitting in the closet at about 68f (internal temp).)

I just used it in a heavily peat smoked barley wine of sorts. I didn't notice it took forever but the yeast does not make much of a krausen in my experience with it. I have used it for a couple beers now and it krausens much less than WLP001 or other yeasts I've used. I like the yeast a lot actually.

3 weeks? jeez. was hoping this one would be ready to bring to a block party in a little more than a month, but as it is it doesn't look like there'll be time for the post-fermentation clean-up and for dry-hopping ... oh well.

10 days and it's still chuggin' along!

Back