This is gonna hurt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greydog

Reaction score
Hi all,
Well about 5 weeks ago I brewed an extract Cologne Kolche.
As I was getting ready to bottle, I noticed what appeared to be mold growing on the top of my beer.
I tried to leave both the trub and the "mold" in the carboy as I racked to my bottling bucket.
Yesterday, I opened a bottle and it was nicely carbed but had a nasty hair ball in the bottom of the bottle and a nasty taste to match. The taste kinda reminds me of what I imagine ostrich pee would taste like.
Anyway, being as I've never experienced anything like this before, I was wondering what everyone thought what the cause is/was.
The part that hurts is that I think this will end up being my first mainline to the drain. Gawd, that'll hurt.
Thanks for any advice.
Greydog

That's most definitely an infection, likely bacterial. The cause is surely sanitation related. Something got into your fermenter, somehow.

...and either you work on an ostrich farm or you have a very overactive imagination!

I guess I should confess to an "overactive imagination" having never actually been near said urine.
I kinda figured that it was an infection but, as far as i can tell, my sanitation procedures were the same as I've always follow and I limited my greyhound's bottling bucket licking to the absolute minimum.....I am at a loss!
I am hoping that my first lager (European Pilsner) will not suffer the same fate.
Thanks for your ideas,
Greydog

Latest posts

Back