Cleaning and storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doubletapbrewing

Reaction score
After you brew your beer, how does everyone go about cleaning and storing all of their brewing equipment (brew kettle and all other accessories)? Planning on brewing my first batch on Thursday or Friday, and want to have it planned out.

I wash everything, cover it and store the equipment on a shelf in my garage. It gets re-washed and sanitized before using. Good luck with your first batch!

Back in the day I was brewing a ton more so it seemed I was forever cleaning something just to fill it up again. Now things sit empty for awhile so I put some starsan in them and close the lid.

Only worry I have is my hoses and I boil them before I use them

Clean? Yes. Sanitize? No. The only thing I really sanitize wheni finish with them are kegs. Everything else is cleaned to get any dirt/schmutz/solids off of them and then dried and hung to dry and stored.

Also, you do NOT want to leave spent grains anywhere inside your house or in your equipment. That stuff stinks quick. Worse than rotted taters.

I try to clean my kettle and other items as soon as I've set my batch in my temp controlled freezer. If I can't, I let them soak overnight.

I have to do my cleaning in the downstairs bathroom. This is where I store my kettle, buckets, and other big items that I need to drain, since I have a walk in shower that's never been used. I eventually want to add a good size utility sink in the garage, so I can keep everything out of the house (as far as cleaning goes).

I clean the cooler while the boil is going, then everything else after pitching and setting in the chamber.

Back