Which first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigmn

Reaction score
I get a Father's Day upgrade to my home brewery and I am trying to decide if I should pick up an oxygen kit or a stir plate first. Ill get both eventually but which first?

Stir plate. All the oxygen in the world won't matter if you under pitch.

I haven't had any issues with under pitching, I either make a proper size shaker starter or double pitch. Thanks for your input

I have both, and will go the other way. Oxygen kit. Much easier to keep shaking your starter and/or give it a hit of oxygen before you begin the starter. Much more PITA to shake a carboy for five minutes in my opinion. I will say that the combination of both, along with temperature control for fermentation has been invaluable in my brewing.

I have both, and will go the other way. Oxygen kit. Much easier to keep shaking your starter and/or give it a hit of oxygen before you begin the starter. Much more PITA to shake a carboy for five minutes in my opinion. I will say that the combination of both, along with temperature control for fermentation has been invaluable in my brewing.

I can see that point, however, there are several mitigations on the O2 first. I use buckets, so easy to stir, and I'm Extract/partial boils, so I end up adding a lot of water fresh from the tap. That might have other issues (clorine) but it alows me a good O2 add.

THAT SAID, DFP is right in that shaking a carboy is a pain, and adding O2 that way is problematic. And without an O2 setup, you can't get above 5ppm O2 (with O2 system you can get 9 ppm o2).

But for me stirplate (as evidence I have one without the o2)

Craigmn said:
I haven't had any issues with under pitching, I either make a proper size shaker starter or double pitch. Thanks for your input

Saving the cost of yeast from having to double pitch only 4x will pay for your stir plate.

Back