any tricks for getting rid of diacetyl?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfboy

Reaction score
My first pilsner beer was just bottled, and I couldn't help but notice this evident butterscotch like smell and taste, along with a hint of sourness.

I am guessing this taste is due to diacetyl... I think. My primary lasted for 6 days at 13-15C (~56F). At the point I racked to secondary, there was still small traces of "foam" at the surface of the beer. Secondary lasted for 2 weeks at 4C (~39F).

Do you think I can get rid of this butterscotch like smell and taste in due time just by leaving this beer in the bottle at summer room tempature? (no filteration, yeast still at bottom of bottle) DOes anyone have any tricks for getting rid of this diacetyl in their experience in lager brewing?

Cheers :cross:

It won't help this beer, but for your next lager, make sure you taste for diacetyl before you rack the first time. If you get an "oily" feeling, taste butter, or any other not-right flavor, keep it in primary until you don't have it any longer. I primary my lagers anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks, or until the SG is at least 75% of the way to the FG.

Yeah, the truth is, it takes a little more than temp control to make a good lager. Of course it's important but time/patience is even more so. The more yeast you pitch, the better and you need to leave it in primary for at least 2 weeks.

Indeed, patience is a virtue that is to be desired this time. Eventually I will try the decoction mashing, but perhaps I will make the better of my patience first next time.

I used ice water bath for the lagering, its wasn't easy but worth the effort. I will smell and take out the beer to test for the "oily" flavour before racking to secondary.

Thank you all for the advice.

Back