3 weeks in primary OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirate252

Reaction score
I searched and couldnt find exactly the anwser I am looking for... I dont have secondaries, I am brewing two batches at once in 2 5 gallon carboys. They are listed in my sig, one a American Ale that has been dryhopping for about 5 days now, and one a Irish Red.

They have been in there for 16 days now, and I am really busy this week or I would bottle them, do I need to force time to bottle before Friday (the 20 day mark) or will the be ok in the Primary for 20 days?

Also will the dryhopped beer be ok dryhopping for about 9-10 days?

Thanks

1. You only need to start worrying if you decide to leave it in primary for a couple months, when autolysis begins to be an issue. Otherwise, no worries.
  2. I dryhop for 2 weeks. 9-10 days will be fine, unless you're going for a very subtle dryhop.

this winter most of my ales have been in primary two to three weeks, then i bottle them, or if they're realy big give them some secondary lagering time in the cold cold root cellar :)

Ok, good I have a lot of other things to take care of this week first.

Thanks

I don't worry at all about it. My BeastII has been in primary since 8th January! Five weeks and counting... it is a little stronger than normal though. still bubbling about once a minute.

Due to the low temps of my basement this winter (actually this February, as most of Dec/Jan was so warm) has taken it's toll on the production speed of the ButlerCo Brewery.

I'm averaging 3-4 weeks for primary ferment... but I'm not worried... it'll just make better beer!

As said above, unless you're in months, don't worry about it. Or, use this as the excuse you need to get some secondaries! :D

Back