alcohol content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Increase the amount of fermentables in your wort.

Add more malted barley. If you are extract brewing the easy way would
be to just add more DME or LME Before the end of the boil. It can also
be done by adding sugar. But this will not enhance the beers taste or body
any. here's a link that you may find helpful.

Beer Calculus . homebrew recipe calculator

As mentioned above, there are a large amount of ways to increase the alcohol content of your beer. Depending on how you brew (All grain, partial mash, extract) really can alter how you increase the alcohol content. You can add extract to your boil (dry or liquid), increase your grain bill, add sugar (pref dextrose), add honey, boil longer (will reduce volume but increase sugar %)... Number of ways, normally with bigger beers tho you will want to age them a little longer to help out the taste. And of course just make sure that your yeast are actually fermenting all the way.

Personally for beers 11% or lower I just use a large grain bill and decent boil, other than that I usually add some dextrose, molasses (for big porters/stouts) or honey.

Corn Sugar.

Corn Sugar = Dextrose.

Rule of thumb for 5 gallon batches is that 1 lb of corn sugar will add 1% ABV of alcohol.

YBMV (Your Brew May Vary)

:mug:

Welcome to HBT!

The best way is to start with a high gravity recipe. It's easy enough to make a high gravity beer BUT to make a high gravity good beer requires a balance of malt and hops.

If you want a high gravity crap beer, add a bunch of fermentables without balancing it out or better yet buy a cheap bottle of vodka and get drunk that way.

As mentioned above, there are a large amount of ways to increase the alcohol content of your beer. Depending on how you brew (All grain, partial mash, extract) really can alter how you increase the alcohol content. You can add extract to your boil (dry or liquid), increase your grain bill, add sugar (pref dextrose), add honey, boil longer (will reduce volume but increase sugar %)... Number of ways, normally with bigger beers tho you will want to age them a little longer to help out the taste. And of course just make sure that your yeast are actually fermenting all the way.

Personally for beers 11% or lower I just use a large grain bill and decent boil, other than that I usually add some dextrose, molasses (for big porters/stouts) or honey.

Oh molasses sounds pretty cool. That goes with coffee on my to-do list.

Look for recipes that are inherently higher gravity beers. You won't get a very tasty beer if you take a normal recipe and dump a bunch of extra sugar in. You are getting into hooch category there. Instead, look for Russian Imperial Stout, Double IPA, Tripel, Scottish Wee Heavy, Barleywine, Belgian Golden Strong and similar high gravity kits or recipes.

I actually think NorthernBrewer.com has a section specifically for high gravity kits. I assume you are extract? here you go

I hope this isn't Moshiach coming back for another round!:D:D:D

In the past i have been guilty of adding corn sugar. Then upon getting a couple of batchs of sub par (tasting) beer i stopped. Just go with more grain or a bigger recipe.

A higher grain bill is the better way to go, however, 1/2 lb DME = 1 lb extract from grain. 2/3 lb DME in 5 gal batch increases original gravity by about .008 or 2 Plato. (My notes say 1/3 DME in a 2.5 gal batch = .004 or 1 Plato) Ballance is key.

6 replies and no one said use less water...HA HA!!! :ban:

I did, I said boil longer=Less water!!! For those of us who use all grain the water is a set factor for the most part. You have to rinse all the sugars off the grain, however a long boil reduces said water. :ban::ban::ban:

In the past i have been guilty of adding corn sugar. Then upon getting a couple of batchs of sub par (tasting) beer i stopped. Just go with more grain or a bigger recipe.

There has been many a debate on this and quite a few threads. Corn sugar doesnt affect the taste of your beer, if done correctly you can make a realy big beer (20+ %) using corn sugar and it will be really good. I made a clone of DFH 120 and used 6.4 lbs in 4 gallons of beer, my friends and LHBS both say its better than the original. Its all about the recipe and time you let the beer sit to age. With big beers come big time!

Yea, there are styles where adding sugar is appropriate. The common theme is that you need to boost the fermentables in a beer that needs to finish rather dry. If you made an all malt Pliny clone, the FG would be way too high. IIPA's, Tripels and even Saisons are all styles where adding corn sugar is appropriate. I'd say it would even be appropriate to replace some malt in lower gravity light session beers. You can't just dump it into any recipe and make good beer though.

Latest posts

Back