First batch is ready - a few questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purechaos

Reaction score
I just checked and my first batch is done. It is an AG sam smith oatmeal stout clone. mmmmmm

anyway I had a few questions about tommorrow.

1) after i rack to my keg how much pressure do i need to add to the keg to force carb it, and the process involved in general for it to be ready to tap on saturday during my next brew session? do i need to drop the temp colder than serving temp initially?

2) I would like to harvest/save my yeast for another batch but I wont be brewing another batch on saturday for this yeast strain. how can i save the yeast? I dont really have the equipment to wash it right now, can i just put the yeast cake/trub in a carboy and put in fridge or my temp controlled fermentation chamber? I ran my wort through a homemade hop taco so I dont expect alot of trub.

3) what psi is appropriate to serve a stout on? When I had my old kegerator setup I used 12 psi, is this ok?

:tank:thanks!:tank:

Since I don't keg I can only answer question #2. Take a brand new glad zip lock bag and dump the yeast cake into the bag. Refrigerate it until you brew next. Glad zip lock bags are sterile out of the box. :)

your stout will benefit from a long conditioning period, but if you're anxious to drink it in two days:

rack to keg, turn regulator to 30 psi. blast to seat lid and purge o2. release pressure valve, purge again. release pressure valve again. blast again to 30 psi and put it in the fridge overnight. once chilled, do the shake n' carb method. let settle overnight in the fridge after shaking for a good 5-10 min (or until the regulator stops hissing). purge excess co2 after settling, reset to serving pressure and enjoy.

your stout will benefit from a long conditioning period, but if you're anxious to drink it in two days:

rack to keg, turn regulator to 30 psi. blast to seat lid and purge o2. release pressure valve, purge again. release pressure valve again. blast again to 30 psi and put it in the fridge overnight. once chilled, do the shake n' carb method. let settle overnight in the fridge after shaking for a good 5-10 min (or until the regulator stops hissing). purge excess co2 after settling, reset to serving pressure and enjoy.

i know it will improve if i condition it, but i have another batch in fermenter along with 11 gallons of brown. I plan on letting them condition, but i want some to drink while brewing on saturday :-D

thanks for the answers guys

Back