Finally buying my equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbies

Tastes like butterdirt
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I think I am finally going to make the plunge and buy my kegging equipment this week. I still dont have my chest freezer, but I can get that later. I just want to bounce this off of the more experienced keggers here at HBT to make sure that I am getting everything I need. Here is what I have picked out so far:

2- 5 gallon corny kegs
2- 1/4" gas disconnects
2- 1/4" liquid disconnects
hose clamps
picnic tap
BLC
keg lube
dual gauge regulator
3-way check valve
and 8' of 1/4" tube

Obviously, I know that I still am going to need a CO2 tank, but I am still shopping around for the best price. Is a 5lb tank big enough? Will that be enough to carb and dispense a few kegs worth? Also, I got the 8' of tubing to go from the regulator to the check valve, but does it matter how much tubing runs from the valve to the kegs? Can I just get enough to make it reach, or should I get longer?

If there is anything else I need, or anything else you fine folks would recommend I would appreciate it. Also if anyone has any idea where to get a CO2 tank for a good price, I would appreciate that too. Although, I will probably just go with Ebay or something.

Thanks.

I'd get the biggest CO2 tank you can fit in your system. Bigger tanks don't cost that much more than 5# tanks, and they're cheaper per lb to fill.

A 5-lb tank will last awhile...my current one has been on for 3 months, and has force carbed 5-6 kegs and dispensed 3-4 in that time.

Your gas lines just need to be long enough to reach your kegs. However, it's nice if they can reach outside the kegerator for force carbing or other uses.

Beautiful, thanks a million. I think I basically got it down, but I always have reservations until I actually do it. It would stink, if I get this excited, and spend all this money only to find out I dont have all the right parts. Thanks again.

1 more tip, on the dispencing line make sure you buy lo foam keg line, I buy the 5/16 line because I think it has better anti foaming effect on my pours. Also remember to drop the serving presure befor you pour. Your going to love the kegging route. beats the hell out of bottling. Cheers

Thanks, I am looking forward to it. I only got the 1/4" liquid line, but I do believe it is the low foam.

I thought of something after I ordered it though. I bought a three way distributor so that I can hook two (and eventually three) kegs to the same pressure line. This sounded great in theory, but what if I am carbing one and serving the other. Is there a median pressure that would work for both...say 8ish PSI. FYI, I don't really plan on force carbing, so I would not worry if my keg didn't carb for a week or so.

its possible to have the right ID and length of pouring line, that you don't have to adjust anything to dispense. I think usually about 6' of pouring line of usual inner diameter lets you dispense at about 10psi without pouring a cup of foam.

also raising the end of the picnic tap whilst pouring adds resistance that can help you pass the thresh hold of too much foam.

if you get a 10lb CO2 cylinder, try to get an aluminum one. the steel ones weigh a lot more...its just a conveinence factor.

Hey there-

Check out alternative beverage http://www.ebrew.com/cornelius_kegging_system_ball_lock/cornelius_ball_lock_system.htm. I've been happy with the 3 keg setup, and you can't beat the price! The site is kinda cheesy, but i have been happy with my equipment.

Keep one gas line long so you can pressurize outside the freezer. You don't want to have to powerclean a full keg into the freezer if you want to age the keg in a closet to save freezer space.

Get a modular manifold from morebeer. http://morebeer.com/view_product/16392/102238 You don't want a manifold that doesn't allow upgrades!

I just went with the six-way manifold from MoreBeer. I can upgrade but may have to face a serious drinking problem if I do :D

The prices at eBrew seem to keep going up. When I looked at that three keg setup a few months ago it was $178 and some change.

Hopefully by the end of today I'll have some pics of the somewhat finished kegerator project!... I say somewhat because it won't be full of beer :( I've got two kits coming from Northern Brewer on Monday plus ingredients for some Apfelwein.

Back