Yeast substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
I want to brew a Wheat Ale this weekend, and the recipe I'm working from calls for Fermentis SafBrew S-33 yeast. I want to keep costs for the batch down, so I'd rather use one of the yeasts I have on hand.

I have a couple of packets of Danstar Nottingham and a vial of Wyeast 1338 European that I harvested from the last batch.

Would either of these be an acceptable substitute in a Wheat Ale? Or should I just spend the extra money and go with something else (I'm not sure if the LHBS carries Fermentis or not).

Thanks!
:mug:

They didn't have the Safbrew at the LHBS, so I ended up going with the Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat. That should work out okay, I would think.

Thanks for the input!

Yeah that will work very well. When you are done harvest some of that yeast...IMO the best way to keep future costs down. A good investment.

Well, my luck has been hit and miss with trying to harvest. Since I don't think I'll be doing another wheat for a while, I may just skip it this time around. (I already have that 1338 that I harvested from the last batch.)

I've actually only pitched with harvested yeast once, and that beer's still conditioning in the bottles, so I don't know how it's turned out, yet. I'm a little worried, since I think the batch that I harvested from might be infected (I can't really tell, because my pallet is not yet that sophisticated, and I don't know if it's infected or just needs to "mellow" - I may post about this in another category).

Back