Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkPhD

Reaction score
I was getting a recipe together and had a few questions about the ingredients.

Firstly: I'm sure the quality of the ingredients matter as far as the quality of the final product, but would there really be a noticeable difference? The recipe calls for chocolate and coffee, so would the grade on either of these ingredients really show up in the beer?

Secondly: I was going to soak some oak chips in maple syrup and was wondering how much oak chips I should be using for a 5g batch. Obviously, the longer I let the chips soak, the more they will absorb, but how much chips should I add to get just enough flavor without it stealing the show?

Finally: Any tips or advice as far as for this particular type/style would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, you guys will be able to provide me with the information I need. Thanks ahead of time.

I have seen people use both whole chocolate and cocoa powder, I would probably go for the powder. You don't have the cocoa butter in the powder, so you don't have to worry about that extra fat in your beer. I would think a darker chocolate would work better with the flavors, milk chocolate would be kind of insipid with all the roasted flavors already going on.

The best coffee stouts I have tried had the coffee added in secondary or even better in the keg/bottling. Make it good and strong, quite a few folks will cold brew it. The advantage to a keg is you can add some, let it sit a day, try it, add more, etc, until you dial it in.

I don't think you want to put the oak in the maple. You have no way to control the oak then since you have to wait for it to ferment. I would add the maple let it ferment out then so the oak. I've got a founders clone going now. I added bakers chocolate and coco nina in the boil with coffee grounds. Going to split the batch and add half on burbon soaked chips. Both will get additional coffee ay bottling but it will be close to a month before I can say how it came out

Latest posts

Back