Oxygen Tanks - Will they work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
I would like to get into using oxygen to aerate my wort. So I placed an ad on Craig's list. The following was a response.

"I have two 240 liter tanks to spare. currently have 1000-1500 pounds left in them. can be filled either by medical facility for script or at welding supply company. difference is 99% medical grade, 95% welding grade make me an offer."

I then asked what size the tanks were...

"14 inches tall, base is 4 inches across. they are medical grade so used for human oxygen use. can fill at a welding supply with no script. looks identical to Oxygen Tanks no dial on top I just use pliers. and no regulator that is bought separate and I don't have a spare. working on fixing the one I have as it leaks currently."

The above link sent me: Oxygen Tanks

Do you folks know if what they say is accurate? Can I fill these without a prescription. If so, what is the value of these tanks?

Thanks

Get him to send you a picture of teh actual tank and valve you'll be getting and take that to where ever you plan on getting it filled. My understanding is medical tanks cannot be filled without a prescription. However, in that photo, the tank on the right has a standard valve. The one in the middle has a medical valve.

Just a heads up, I have 2 medical grade cylinders that were converted for CO2 and I bought them for $5/each. None of the local supply stores will refill them with O2 or CO2. At all.

Same here. Picked up a medical tank. Can't fill at med supply without script. Can't fill at welding supply but, can trade to a "standard" welding bottle for a fee (cert fee waived in trade).

Alternatively you could have the guy meet you at the welding shop and tell him you'll take them both if the shop will fill them.

If they have the regular valve you'll be fine. Otherwise you'll be SOL.

You might also want to ask an oxygen supply store if they sell "aviation oxygen" or who does. I talked to one store that said they couldn't fill my medical oxygen bottle (scored at estate sale with valve and regulator and about a thousand pounds of oxygen for $10)with with medical oxygen without a script, that they couldn't fill it with industrial (welding) oxygen because a medical tank has a different opening than an welding tank, but they thought they could fill me with aviation oxgen, apparently what they use on planes if the oxygen masks drop down.

Back