I'm Scared

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_Burbank

Reaction score
I started my first brew last Wednesday, and as of today the airlock is bubbling about 5 times a minute.

Two side notes: I live in a small apartment that tends to get hot when we cook. Also when I pitched the yeast I stirred it in.

Could either of those things ruin the batch or is there still hope?

The hot temps could cause some off flavors depending on how hot the wort is.. Stirring the yeast is fine as long as whatever you used to stir was sanitized.

there has to be one room that stay cooler ..... a bath room maybe? and next time just shack the crap out of the fermenter than pitch the yeast and dnt stir....

it will stilll mmake a drinkable. idk about you but thats all im looking for

I agree, I just care that it's drinkable for the first batch. However what do you think about the frequent bubbling after a week? Should I still be waiting for 1 bubble a minute to switch to second fermenter?

You should ignore the bubbling! Airlock activity isn't what determines how far along your fermentation is going. Only hydrometer readings can tell you what your beer is doing.. Do a search on "swamp cooler" on this forum to see how to control the temp of your fermentation..

Your worrying to much as long as you were sterile with your stirrer your fine. The temps may produce some esters but it all depends on the strain. My vote is you'll be fine . RDWHAHB

(Relax, don't worry, have a home brew)

Don't worry about the bubbling. It's not necessarily an indication of your fermentation, it's CO2 escaping, which depends not just on fermentation, but the pressure in the fermenter, the air temperature, how full your fermenter is, etc.

So would you say that on average you switch to second fermenter after a week? That's how long it's been in the first.

So would you say that on average you switch to second fermenter after a week? That's how long it's been in the first.

you will learn there is a huge debate on "to 2ndary or not" seems like thats an old school technique.... alot on here just do it when they dry hop.....
but depends on the beer style yeast ect when you make the switch

I got finicky about using a secondary initially. But after reading a lot of opinions, you can probably just leave it in primary the entire time. Secondary is usually only used to help clarify certain types of beer, to add fruit or other flavorings (like dry-hopping), or for longer-term aging before bottling. You didn't tell us what type of beer you're making. That might help with our answer. But, I'm guessing the answer will still be to just leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks and then bottle.

ANDY.. Using a secondary is not necessary. Most don't I Usually DO. IF you are going to secondary then take a hydrometer reading, wait a couple of days and take another one. If it is stable THEN transfer to secondary. HOWEVER ( I have never made a hefeweizen so this part may be wrong) A hefe is supposed to be hazy so a secondary ( which is actually a bright or clearing tank) would be unnecessary. Just leave it alone ( once you get it cooled down some) for a couple more weeks then decide what you wanna do with it.

You need to get a hydrometer if you don't have one. After a week or better yet two or more take gravity readings for 3 days. If the gravity stays the same you can then bottle. Secondary is really just a bright tank where the beer clears up.

The only way you can tell if the fermentation has finished is to take gravity readings. Bubbling is just the fact that gas (carbon dioxide) is being released from solution.

You do not need a secondary but you should keep it out of the light. You can put in a closet and wrap a blanket around it. You should try to keep the temp as stable as possible (and below 70 degrees). If you do not have a Hydromter, you can leave in the fermenter for two weeks then bottle it. The bubling will normally stop after a week but it is still going. Read John Palmer (available on line). Relax!

It is a hefeweizen.

i make a lot of hefeweizens, as they are 1 of my favorite types ( look at my sig ). don't use a secondary for them. i let them ferment for 11-12 days, then keg or bottle. you want them to be around 1.014 or so fg, though. if the yeast you put it on is a little weak at pitching time, it might take a little longer

Okay, so I will leave it go for about another week, and check the fg aiming for 1.014 over the course of three days at the end of that week? Sound right? Just want to make sure I'm getting all of this. Also, any special technique when checking the fg? Can I just take the lid off of the bucket and get at it, or should I go through the air filter hole to avoid too much air contact?

andygosche said:
Okay, so I will leave it go for about another week, and check the fg aiming for 1.014 over the course of three days at the end of that week? Sound right? Just want to make sure I'm getting all of this. Also, any special technique when checking the fg? Can I just take the lid off of the bucket and get at it, or should I go through the air filter hole to avoid too much air contact?

Buy a turkey baster* sanitize it, remove lid, fill test tube ,check gravity, drink the sample, repeat the next day

Back