Ranco ETC controller- hard wire or plug in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavites

Reaction score
Can someone clear something up for me.
I was at my LHBS and they had the Ranco controller for $100 and he insisted that
it was just a plug in deal.

I was under the impression that the ranco controller had to be hard wired to
overide the appliance thermstat.

I'm looking at the Ranco over the Johnson to control a box freezer and prevent
cycling.

If you're controlling a freezer, it's plug and play - the internal thermostat will never switch power off at fermenting, lagering, and serving temps.

$100 is a little expensive for a Ranco, even pre-wired.

When you say plug and play, you mean that you plug the freezer plug
into the controller and that's it?
And what do you mean pre-wired?

You just plug the controller into the wall, then plug the freezer into the controller...really, that's it!

The Ranco controllers come from the factory without any wires, just terminals. Some homebrew shops wire them for you with an extension cord.

Thanks Yuri!
that's the one I want. I check around price wise to see
if I can get it cheaper.

Prost!

If you have the opportunity to get one without the extension cord wired for a good price do it. It is pretty easy to install if you have ever wired a light switch. If you can't do it you could probably find someone willing to do it for a homebrew:mug:

I've bought 3 controllers now off ebay and never paid more than $35 shipped. They weren't digitals, just simple single pole deals, but that's all you really need. The dual stage ones are nice for holding ferment temps between summer and winter though.

My Ranco was prewired and it has worked well. I'm sure either is fine, but I choose not to fool around with the wiring. Just plug the freezer into the controler and the other end into the wall. Been running great for two months.

Latest posts

Back