IPA fermentation duration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delphi270

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Got a quick question for you. I am bottling my Brewer's Best IPA tomorrow. I left it in the primary fermenter for about 3 weeks. Was this a stupid decision? Should I have bottled after 1 or 2 weeks? Will the beer taste horrible because of the fermentation length?

Hey guys,

Got a quick question for you. I am bottling my Brewer's Best IPA tomorrow. I left it in the primary fermenter for about 3 weeks. Was this a stupid decision? Should I have bottled after 1 or 2 weeks? Will the beer taste horrible because of the fermentation length?

on the contrary my friend, you did your beer (and yourself) a huge favor by not following the instructions :mug:

Am I correct in assuming the extra one or two weeks have made the beer better?

Also, I took a small spoonful of a sip of it last night, it was decent but lacked body. Right now, I believe it is at 6% alcohol. Will the taste perk up once it carbonates?

Yes and yes.

You've made much better beer with the longer ferment,
and carbonation adds much to flavor and body. Let those bad boys carbonate for about 3 weeks at 70, then cool em down.

i made an ipa recently that turned out really well, except the extra hoppiness faded away after a few weeks (that is after it had already been bottled for 3 weeks). you can still taste the hops and it's still good, it just doesn't have the strong aroma anymore like the first glasses did. i'm not sure if this is typical as beers usually get better the longer you age it. just a heads up.

Back