Makeshift fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougan

Reaction score
I'm kind of sick of testing stuff in five gallon batches, but I also don't want to spend money on a small fermentor. I kind of want to try doing some simple meads or wines. I have some 1 gallon plastic gatorade bottles and similar containers. Does anybody see a problem with putting a stopper on top with an airlock and using these as fermentors? I know that these won't give me the best results but as long as they would give acceptable results for experimental purposes then I think I would be OK.

Look at the recycle number on the bottom. I have a couple apple juice gallon bottles that are #1 PET (Same as better bottles).

I am planning an experimental mead + fruit experiment soon.

I use the 1 gallon glass Cidar bottles for pilot batches. Might be a little out of season for them now, but ask around at stores like Whole Foods

I use the 1 gallon glass Cidar bottles for pilot batches. Might be a little out of season for them now, but ask around at stores like Whole Foods

I don't think I've ever seen anything like that around here, but don't worry, I have friends working on getting me some empty glass jugs of carlo rossi :). Probably the same idea.

Obviously 1 gal containers are more plentiful than this but I'd suggest trying to find a ~3 gal water bottle. Basically they're just smaller versions of the bottles you'd use in a water cooler. I currently have two 3 gal bottles (PETE #1) that originally contained Absopure water and will probably pick up another one soon.

Why a ~3 gal bottle over one of the endless varieties of 1 gal bottles? The only really reason is that you get to make more of whatever it is you're making. In addition, they don't take up too much more room than a 1 gal container, are easy to carry compared to a full 5+ gal carboy, most ~3 gal bottles I've seen easily use the same stoppers\caps as normal carboys, and if you're math challenged it is easier to figure out the ingredients for a 2.5 gal experimental batch of beer compared to a 1 gal batch :D.

I have a couple of these 3gal bottles as well. They are great for carrying strike/sparge water out to the garage and splitting batches for different dry hops for secondary. I also have done a couple apfelwein experiments in them. Turns out I am not a huge fan, and I have 50+ bottles of the stuff in the basement. Smaller experimental batches are in order for Mead, at least until I figure out if I like the stuff.

I have a couple of these 3gal bottles as well. They are great for carrying strike/sparge water out to the garage and splitting batches for different dry hops for secondary. I also have done a couple apfelwein experiments in them. Turns out I am not a huge fan, and I have 50+ bottles of the stuff in the basement. Smaller experimental batches are in order for Mead, at least until I figure out if I like the stuff.

Yeah, I made the mistake of making a bunch of apfelwein during "good cider season" and now i have about 75 or so bottles of it that aren't going anywhere. It's still good, but when I have two new cases of homebrew every other week or so, it's hard to find a way to drink anything else.

Latest posts

Back