Beer faucet shank type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2BeerOrNot2Beer

Reaction score
As anybody had better luck with the shank with the welded nipple vs the shank with the nipple that screws on with a gasket? Any difference between the two?

Thanks, jake

Mine screw on with a gasket. I'd say a big advantage is that it makes it much easier to remove/reposition the shanks since you can easily remove the nipple and leave the tubing/barb/clamp intact. It took me long enough to get the accuflex tubing on the barb, I don't wanna do that again.

Hi

If the nipple is welded on, it's one less thing to leak. If it's a right angle nipple and it's welded, it can indeed be a bit exciting.

If you are putting tube on the barbs - heat up a glass of water in the microwave. Boiling is ok, but not really needed. Stir the end of the tube around in the water for maybe 10 seconds. It'll go on the barb really easy...

Bob

Hi

If the nipple is welded on, it's one less thing to leak. If it's a right angle nipple and it's welded, it can indeed be a bit exciting.

If you are putting tube on the barbs - heat up a glass of water in the microwave. Boiling is ok, but not really needed. Stir the end of the tube around in the water for maybe 10 seconds. It'll go on the barb really easy...

Bob

It does go on really easy... unless you're using a "glass-lined" beverage tubing like the Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra Barrier. Such a pain to get on there, as evidenced by the dozens of threads full of people complaining about/helping each other through the process.

I do agree that it's one less leak to worry about, but I'll counter that beverage side leaks are very easy to diagnose :mug:

Does the welded nipple very much of a hassle to clean? Any bacteria problems more likely?

Hi

There's one less interface / set cracks with the weld gizmo. The standard cleaning approach is to flush the entire system with "stuff", so that's not a really big deal either way. I know of few people who clean their beer lines as often as they should. I know of nobody who tears them down to components each time they clean them.

Bob

Latest posts

Back